Fuel Gauge Showing Full

Guest subaru

Guest subaru

Hello there,

Here is hoping you may be able to help please. The fuel gauge is a smiths one put on by the previous owner. The gauge was working but in reverse. According to the previous owner due to the sender being in the wrong way ( is this true ). i took the dash off to fix speedo and this is when the gauge stopped working. I have found 2 leads and connected them on. One is 12 volts but i don't know weather the other is a sender cable or the earth. How do i test this and should there be three leads?

Many thanks Chris

Gauge usually has a 12 volt supply. Then earths through the sender which is a variable resistance operated by the float arm. You need to get the supply and sender wire onto the correct terminals but beyond that there's not much to go wrong. You can check the sender body is earthed to the tank and the tank is earthed to the body of the car.

Nigel

You should also have a supply and earth for the bulb that illuminates the gauge.

Its quite normal to get a reverse guage if you are using Smiths Guage and the sender supplied with the kit.

I took the sender out of the tank, removed and soldered the wire back on the other end of the rheostat. Guage is not accurate but now goes the right way.

graham b

Guest subaru

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your replies. I am gonna check the sender unit because the tank has developed a leak anyway. It never rains it always poors