Front Suspension Of Robin Hood 2B

Guest Viper

Hi everyone I'm new to this so hope this goes through ok.I purchased this Robin B 2002 yesterday,1908214.

I have a big problem with the front suspension, I have never seen this style before, it has two dampers but the problem is the lower damper bolt seems to be grinding the inside of the alloy wheel. I have no idea how this is happening or why. I'm sure it has something to do with the inner damper of the spring. I have a number of photographs if anybody can please help. I think it is a sliding system??? The previous owner said I can get a conversion kit???

Assuming it's sliding pillar (see here for identification http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm ) then the griding on the inside of the wheel is probable wear that can fairly easily be rectified.

Wishbone conversions are available and a few people have done them but they generally don't come that cheap. There's also plenty of cars still running sliding pillars with satisfied owners.

Best advise as you've just bought the car is to get the suspension working as it should and get out and enjoy the car. You may then decide that a wishbone conversion isn't worth the additional cost and the money could be better spent on other modifications.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard, I will strip it down tomorrow and have a look, it can only be the damper within the spring but my brain still can't get around the fact, unless the damper is pushing down, but the front doesn't even move it is rock solid?

Hi Mate

As Rich states, better off keeping what you have and trying first. :db:

If you get them set up properly then they will perform pretty good. Only issue I had was lots of under steer into high speed corners, but low speed cornering managed to keep up with the wishbone guys. Once you know what to expect then no nasty suprises :crazy:

To help you out I have attached a basic drawing of the suspension together with some tips to improve the setup and performance.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :drinks:

Sliding pillar assy.ppt

• Like 1

I'm running 14's that were supplied by Robin Hood with the kit, clearance doesn't seem to b the problem, there is loads. There is 3" from the bottom inner wheel but somehow presumably as its driving the inner wheel is catching on the lower centre bolt of the suspension unit inserted within the spring. My brain can't work out how, considering top and bottom supports are both fixed SS tubing.

The whole hub slides up the chrome shaft, allowing the bolt to contact the wheel......that is definitely a bad thing

I know it used to happen to me.

Make sure to take pics before you strip it down.....its a bit "unusual"

Bouncing up & down on the front while the car is stationary wont do much.

The wheels try to move in towards the car as they move up the shaft.

Put both front wheels on shiny magazines & try again.

BTW nice diagrams Tazz!!

Edited by Bob Tucker

Thanks Ryan, I tried it and it worked fine on Facebook but no link would go onto this site, Grrr!! I think I will strip it down tomorrow and suck it and see! It seems though

that finding a replacement shock/strut maybe difficult, Thanks to everyone for your help,really appreciate it, :)

BTW those diagrams from Tazz are excellent!!

Edited by Viper

If it is sliding pillar the shock is from the front of a classic mini.

The top bearing is sierrra top mount. Motorcycle spring compressors are best. And anti vibration mounts are best as a lower bump stop

Hi , when stripping down be very careful with the springs, they can give a real nasty bite. Best to use motorcycle spring compressor as Marcus says. Also check for excessive wear/ play between fixed inner shaft and outer sleeve bushes.

Dampers are standard mini ones. If you follow the diagrams you won't go too far wrong.

Thanks Tazzzzman 1 (Terry) for this advice, off to get the M/cycle spring compressor and get stuck in! Fingers crossed. Just one question the outer dampers are mini ones, but what are the inner struts within the spring. I have searched for hours tying to find ones with studs at both ends,but to no avail. Any advice is muchly appreciated :sorry:

The Chrome strut inside the coil spring is actually the centre strut from the original Sierra front suspension McPhearson strut.

It moved up and down with the suspension in the Sierra – but in this application it’s just bolted solidly between the frame members and the wheel hub actually sildes up and down that (there are some Phospher Bronze bushes inside the modified hub that allow it to do this).

Cheers

Tony