Guess What I Have Been Looking At This Morning

alantoon

Guest lotusPaul

Mid 1990 Ford's had a similar switch in boot to cut off fuel in a crash..worked very well too as RS Turbo drivers can testify. Funny to see them cut out on track under heavy braking. Maybe something like this could be an addition.

Fire extinguisher or shut off valves these cars are potentially death traps, would be far safer in a sports tin top that's for sure. Mmm what shall I buy

But I still fel a lot safer in the Kit than I do out on my cycle, it is just a case of doing what you enjoy but minimizing the risks.

• Like 2

I read somewhere (so happy to be corrected) that the problem with extinguishers in cars is that the dry powder versions can, over time, settle and become a hard mass due to the vibration of the car. When you come to use them they don't work. I think the post said they were banned in motorsport for that reason. but again happy to be corrected. I have one in the kit just in case and give it a shake every now and then.

Lucky for me i have a mechanical pump so if engine stops so does fuel. The fiat punto also has an inertia cut off switch.

I often wondered if there was some magical chemical that would stop fuel being flammable but i can't find such a product. My thinking was that if you had a container behind the fuel tank of this 'magic' stuff, if you got shunted then it would break that first and any fuel that escaped would be less likely to catch fire. But unless someone knows of something like that i will continue to dream.

Guest lotusPaul

We have dry powder in all works vehicles. Each month they get checked and each year they are inspected. 3 year turn around point they get yet again another inspection and weight checked etc.

Dry powder does the job but it does make a terrible mess and gets everywhere. You may well find that a lot of the things you are trying to save become ruined by powder ingress anyway but if it saves a life so what. I wouldn't be surpraised if it did become settled and hard after time but I don't know if it is true. If it's all you've got use it.

I fitted an inertia switch in my fuel pump circuit, it feels as if it is something like a ball bearing held in place by a magnet. I think it came from a mondeo. Thankfully car fires after accidents are not that common. It's more likely you will see a car self ignite for some random electrical fault. Worth fitting a switch anyway though.

did a bit of digging to check my facts. Think it is still ok in motorsport to use powder but i found this to confirm my thoughts on settlement

' Vulnerable To Packing Down – Failure of extinguisher can result from the packing down of the powder within the extinguisher body, this problem is associated more with cartridge operated extinguishers. This can be a particular problem on vehicle mounted equipment as the vehicle vibration will cause the powder to compress under its own weight. Regular maintenance routines are essential; to prevent failure of equipment at a crucial time. '

http://www.lhcfp.co.uk/dry_powder_fire_extinguishers.htm

But it does seem to suggest they are one of the best types of extinguishers. Just give it a shake/tap every now and then by the sounds of it.

Guest peter2b2002

young lad where I work said his mate had an accident hit the curb hard then couldn't re start his car and was going to get a load of new bits to get it going again so I said has he reset the impact switch, what's that he asked so I Google his car to show him where it was 5 mins later he said his mate was amazed after he reset the switch it started and saved him loads of money,

peter-2b