S7 Front Suspenion Arm Woes... Advice Sort

Guest David Everitt

Guest David Everitt

So I brought a 90's RH S7. Front suspension angles all wrong. Way too much camber and toe. Documents say was built with optional RH front arm kit.

Could it be that the arms are fitted on the wrong sides, or been butchered. Anyone out there with one able to help with any advice info.?

Have a photo , if I can figure out how to attach..

Also bushes are shot for arms. Worn through. Have QH on them but no number. Anyone know what they should be or where to source?

Have tried GBS, but they are unable to help. Don't have any records, so they say.

Many Thanks..

David

We need to know which model it is - there's a rough guide here: http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm. On the Mk1 Sierra-based model the camber was 'adjusted' by placing a whole bunch of washers in front or behind the suspension pivot points. In could also be massively out if the anti-roll bar is fitted too far forward or back - and there was no procedure to accurately position it in the build process.

There is an option to attach a file using the 'more reply options' button at the bottom right of the editing window. Your pictures need to be less than 100kb in size so you may need to reduce the size using whatever photo program you have. Failing that, you can upload the pictures to some sort of photo hosting site and add a link - for trivial pictures I use http://tinypic.com

Guest David Everitt

Thank you for your reply..

The car is Cortina based S7

Front handling kit option on receipt, rather than Cortina front arms.

Outboard coil overs.

I have had to fully adjust top ball joint and wind back one on the bottom, to anywhere near. There is something no right. Hoping someone might have seen a similar setup. I am half convinced swapping arms left to right may help.

Trying to attach picture now

Edited by Vrooom

Guest David Everitt

Thank you for the replies.

Yes that's a good idea to try turning top arm over. Will try that first, somehow thinking it might not be enough to sort out the problem.

In my mind, I may need to swap bottom arms left to right also.. can't just flip these due to shock mount.

Anyone have any idea on what the QH number of the arm bushes might be..? can see QH raised on rubber, but no number.

Suppose I could try taking a bush to a parts store with a QH catalogue and see if can solve it that way. Unfortunately GBS couldn't help me when I contacted them.

Cheers David

Edited by Vrooom

Guest David Everitt

Unfortunately the arm bushes are much smaller than Cortina arm bushes. Hardly any rubber bush in them at all.

Once it warms up . I'll be out there flipping arms over.

Inside with avenovirus at the moment.. trust me you want to avoid it, if you can.

Has wiped me out for 3 days.

Be careful. I'd inspect your RH wishbones thoroughly. I had what appears to be the same RH front handling kit. They had been manufactured from very low quality tube and failed whilst out on a club run to Aysgarth Falls. Fortunately in the car park and not as we were scorching over Buttertubs Pass. I found a local engineering company who manufactured a replacement set from solid bar using the originals as a template. I've photographs.

Guest David Everitt

Oh dear me.. thanks for the heads up.

Will at the very least check thoughly.

If you have any photos of the front suspension would be good to look at. I'll need to get the arms setup correctly on the car, before I dare get any replacements made up.