What Do I Need?

Guest Ell

Hi All

I am new on here.

Basicly I am looking at buying a Robin Hood that is for sale through a friend.

It is not complete yet, but well on it's way.

Allmost finished biggest job is electrics, engine is a runner.

I need some advice. The goal is for the car to be registered for road use.

Firstly what are the steps towards this.

Secondly If I choose to buy this RB or any other what paper work is needed in the exchange.

So later down the line when registration is needed, I can produce the needed paper.

I need as much adivce as possible.

Thank you

Ell

Hi Ell,

Welcome to the forum.

Some things to consider regarding the purchase of a part built kit that are related to the eventual registering of your kit on the road.

One of the tricky issues that i went through with mine (bought as a part built kit) is that VOSA want to see evidence that the car has been built by an amateur. There are seperate, tricky tests for professionally built cars, so amateur status is worth getting.

So its up to you to prove that this is an amateur build. And for this you will need reciepts for various items, the orginal kit and any other parts would be good. They will also want to see photogrpahs that show the major components of the car being added to the car in an amateur environment (something that doesnt look like a professional garage)

I'd also want to see a V5 from the donor car as this will help registration, and get you a real registration rather than a Q plate that some people dont seem to like.

The job of getting my car on the road after buying it as a part built was an absolute nightmare. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. We frequently hit brick walls with VOSA saying things like, "you'll have to take it apart again and re assemble it taking pictures as you go" or them telling me that there was "no wasy that this car was ever going to get on the road"

my experience was 2 years ago now, so things may have changed, but my advice would remain, be very careful buying a part built kit. i'd actually see if anyone on here would look over it with you. There are threads on here where people have bought 95% complete cars and ended up stripping them down to a bare chassis because the more they looked and the more bits they took off the worse the build then became.

this may not be the case with this one, but again, i'd be very careful! :D

that said theres loads of support here, its a great forum, very friendly and huge amounts of knowledge.

paul

Guest fathead

Hi Ell

Great advice from Paul. However don't be put off. I have bought a part built and I have also stripped it back to the bare chassis. One of the reasons for me buying a part built was that it was cheaper than buying a new kit (I am on an extremely low budget!). If you put your location on, there will no doubt be some hoodies close by that can have a look at it for you and offer some advice.

Another area to look at is the IVA manual. This will tell you what has to be done to the car to get it road registered. Link below:

IVA Manual

As Paul said, it's a great forum and you can get an answer for pretty much any problem you may come across. If you do buy the car then join RHOCAR. Best £15 you'll spend.

Good luck

Steve