Rh Suspension Upgrades? Ditching Sierra Rear Arms?

Guest Bamo

2 things to check on the rear. Tyre pressure (which you already mentioned) should be 20psi or there abouts. I put 30psi in once and it was really bouncy and rather dangerous.

The other thing is how low the builder set the suspension. The sierra setup gets more toe-in and more negative camber as it gets lower. If you set it too low you have too much toe-in and it skips all over the place.

Building a double wishbone rear end is on my list of things to do but still haven't got around to it yet. There is a thread on here where we discussed ideas, I'll see if i can find it.

found it http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=44187&hl=%2Brear+%2Bsuspension&do=findComment&comment=358486we didn't go into too much detail.

my thinking was to use the 'build your own sportscar' plans to build a subframe that would replace the ford sierra subframe, but with a few more pickup points.

On the 2b the sierra subframe mounts using the original subframe outer arm mounts, outer wishbone bolts and the diff rear mounting bolt. I plan (one day) to build the diff cage and wishbones as per the book plans and then custom fabricate 2 lower arms to mount where the current subframe rubber mount goes, 2 arms backwards picking up more of the chassis tubes, and 2 arms upwards into the rollbar tube to also take the upper shock mounts.

The main problem is the rollbar is not inline with the hub so i have yet to work out how to secure the upper suspension mount, unless i build a frame across but i don't want to take up too much space in the boot.

is it worth it? don't know but it's more about the experience for me. :)

Front spax look same as mine. They had 180lb springs and changed to 120lb. Only had a short drive but it made a massive immediately noticeable improvement.

As snapperpaul says though, from what we can see it doesnt look stock, though I am thinking its a modified setup that replicates the original.

Guest JimmyRH

Not want to steal you topic, and if I need to make my own, no problem.
I also want to upgrade my suspension front and rear. I think it's original now, all adjustable (at one time) but all rusted up and drives hard. I would like a bit more relaxing ride, and I would like the car a bit lower..
Any info on what set I need to buy, what load springs etc?? Robin Hood S3a with inboard coil overs, rear are also coilovers.

Front is stiff due to antiroll bar, change to tie bars and reduce springs to 130lb

Rears can stay at 180lb

Original shocks were motor bike shocks with coil over collars put on them, changing to adjustable coil overs such as Gaz improved mine no end