Valve Clearances

Guest Andy Sparrow

Guest Andy Sparrow

Looking for some advice.

I have undertaken my first ever valve clearances on the 2.0 pinto, however there is still yet more evident ticking / tappy noise

In order to reduce cam? noise is it best to have the gaps as tight as possible or to open them out a little ?

Currently set Inlet at a tight 0.2mm and exhaust at a tight 0.26mm

The way the measurement is made cannot take into account any cam wear surely ?

Or is it just a question of engine flush & new (thinner?) oil ?

Is it worth getting a new cam oil bar at the same time as doing the clearances?

What say you ?

d:-) Andy, the Haynes manual says inlets 0.20 , exhausts 0.25 both plus or minus 0.03 so you could set to 0.17 and 0.22 and still be OK if you're accurate. Measure between the rocker pad and cam lobe and if you use Go-No-Go feelers it is easier to be accurate. I use rule of nine to make sure I'm adjusting the correct rocker; when 1 is fully down adjust 8 (1+8=9) and mark each adjusted rocker with chalk. Closing up the gaps makes them quieter but there needs to be a gap to allow for heat expansion of the various bits when running to avoid the possibility that a valve can't close fully and burns out.

You can't compensate for cam lobe tip wear and if you can feel it or see it on your cam its time to get a new one. Spray bars are cheap. Fit new if changing the cam or if you love your engine. Try running the engine with the cam cover off with old, cleaned old and new spraybars. No contest!

Nigel

Doh! Just woke from a tappety nightmare at 2.30 a.m. realising that because the valves go inlet-exhaust/inlet-exhaust /inlet-exhaust/inlet-exhaust the rule of nine does not apply and I've been doing it all wrong for three years on my engine. (still strangely runs great and not noisy). The Haynes manual gives the obvious method of looking at the cam lobes and adjusting each in turn when its own cam lobe is pointing verticaly upwards, i.e. that valve is fully closed. Hands up anyone else brought up on A series engines and using rule of nine on a pinto. Sorry Andy, for the bum advice!

d:-( Nigel

Guest Angel Boy
Hands up anyone else brought up on A series engines and using rule of nine on a pinto. Sorry Andy, for the bum advice!

d:-( Nigel

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Nigel. I had completely forgotten about the "Rule of Nine". It brought back all the "fun" memories I had when I owned a Mini.

Andy