Steering Assembly

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

I have spent the day connecting my steering wheel to the front wheels. (so that I can go round corners). Turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, the action is very notchy. I looked closley at all the linkages and the only thing that looks like a problem is the UJ nearest the steering rack. It appears to be at quite a sharp angle. Its got too dark to work in the garage now and my back aches like crazy so can anyone come up with advise on what to look for before I go to work in the morning

Alan Harrison

Earls Barton Northampton

Guest Angel Boy

Alan,

Assuming you have a 2B and have fitted the steering rack as supplied by RHE. It might be worth pulling back all the gaitors and putting a little grease on the rack itself and turning the steering from lock to lock several times and then repeat the greasing process several times.

It may not help the "notchy" feel you are getting but it does help when the car has to self centre for the SVA test later on ;)

Before you put the UJ's on did the have the full range of movement? Is the "notchy" feel at a particular position of the steering wheel? Is it repetative in the same position? Is the steering bush correctly inserted ( is it a new one or are you reusing an old one)? I am not suggesting you answer all the questions I just hope it triggers a thought process in your mind that may help solve the probelm.

HTH

Andy

[edit] ps is the top UJ catching on the underside of the chasis tube that the servo mounting plate bolts to?

Hi Alan

Are you sure that the knuckle is'nt touching the end of the spline on the rack. When i first assembled mine this was the case, just dont push it on as far.

Also it may catch the down pipe from the exhaust so you may be modding it later when the engine's in.

Mitch

Guest Alan Harrison

Problem solved

The angle of the UJ at the rack was too tight. The nuckles of the UJ were catching as it turned. I just packed the front of the steering rack with 5 thin washers and now it turns as sweet as a nut.............

Thanks for your suggestions chaps.

Guest paul thompson
B) I had the same problem, I eneded up grinding small amounts off all the UJ knuckels on the bottom of the yokes, works OK now and no change to the height of the rack hece no additional bump steer issues.