Ignition Systems (electronic Ignition)

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Bit of a random one but here we go....

I've been playing around with the ignition in my 62 Ford Falcon, I've basically upgraded from a points based system to a system very much like the pinto ignition system (with the module).

The Dizzy is a "Duraspark" which is basically an electronic trigger dizzy run out to a GM ignition module.

As I knew the module was a bit hefty on power I figured I'd run it through a fused line to relay.

I fitted it, wired it, started it, timed it (to 10*btdc) & then came to switch it off.... it doesn't! To switch it off I had to pull the main fuse (on my power line from battery).

Here's the wiring diag... it's for the V8 version but it's the same ignition (with 2 less posts on dizzy obviously). I'm running this except I have a fuse & instead of two 87 outputs on the relay I have on output going to Coil + & then linking onto Module "power in". You can see these as red in the pic. (wondering if this could be the problem but I don't see it.... I guess I could test by running a separate line for the coil/module.

DuraHEIWiring.jpg

Here's my installation: (the relay is "open" like that so I could physically see when it was connected (triggered) & when it wasn't....)

Photo0114.jpg

The green is the "trigger" for the relay which I have wired into the original wire that powered the old coil (I didn't have this issue before with old ignition), blue is ground.

Here's wiring diag for the car:

wiring.gif

I checked the relay after I switched off the ignition & it continued "running on", about 10v to the relay & the same to the I terminal on the solenoid. (tried disconnecting the I terminal at the solenoid & that made no difference.)

When it's not started but ignition is on I get 12v at both, I also get nothing with ignition in the off position UNLESS the engine is running.

Very weird, I'm going to check the relay isn't "leaking" from battery in to trigger or something tomorrow & try a spare relay, anyone have any other ideas?

Before anyone says it... it was broke so I did need to fix it :D (rusted through advance curve springs that I couldn't find the right replacements for leading to a wrong advance curve & miss-firing....)

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk

42 views & no answers... alright I'll tell you what it was :D

Feedback through the alternator "idiot lamp" energising the relay. Seems I need to fit a diode in series with the lamp wire.

Comparatively the car now goes like a rocket (well it is a 3.3l) & pulls at light throttle, low speed without dipping clutch etc.

Guest salty_monk

Yes you can't really see where it would have an affect until it does.... :D

Had to put a Heatsink about 10 times that size on the module in the end, that thing kicks out some heat! They are cheap though £12 ish so I might just carry a spare too....