Bike Carbs On My Pinto

steve_wilson

hi all

i've just had a very tempting price from bogg brothers to convert my pinto to bike carbs

i have to chose the carbs though. i know almost nothing about bikes or carbs so what do you recommend for this engine?

2.0 pinto

piper 300 cam

vernier pulley

midly ported injection head

4-1 exhaust manifold with a motorbike can

aldon ignitor, points replacement

compression ratio is roughly 10.5:1

i want something that is reasonably future proof too, in terms of other bits and bats i might do inn future to increase horses

all suggestions welcome

Thanks, steve

Hi Steve,

Lots of choices and prob no right or wrong answer I went with the ZX6R carbs, they have a TPS so if megajolt is on the wishlist then a set with this provides that option, mines a similar spec but the 285 cam not 300, very pleased with the results so far but no power figures yet, another rolling road session required when the weather warms up a bit...

You might want to go a bit bigger than these though depends if you want ultimate power or driveability in the mid range? Might be argued that a pair of 45's would produce more ultimate power anyway :unknw:

Cheers

Tony.R

megajolt is something i will be fitting in a month or two so i guess i'll need a set of carbs with a tps then, or the option to be able to fit one later on

the reason for change is bogg brothers have quote me a good price for a set of bike carbs fitting and my current twin 40's arent enough for my engine. although if i had to choose, i'd be after ultimate power

zx6r carbs sound like a good idea, not too pricey either, what model and year are you using? are you also using the standard bike fuel pump with them?

Thanks, steve

Guest The Modfather

Steve, when I looked for mine, I believe the best carbs are from year 2000 onwards as these have the TPS. I think the model letter was "G".

All bikes use a letter code, so you'll see ZX6R G on the descriptions.

Go for these, or higher, but as I was told to go specifically for the G that is what I got.

The ZX9R carbs may be better for you, but I would speak to one of the big rolling road shops as they will have dealt with your set-up, and will be best to advise you.

HTH

Darren

According to my dyno man (who knows his onions) honda fireblade carbs are the puppys to go for They have a tps as well, proof is in the rollers both me and shaft use them and we both have 155bhp pintos. fr32 cams vernier inj head bestek ignition 4 in to 1 and gbs manifold for the carbs on mine his is similar with different exhaust / ignition and on a bogg bros manifold (looks nicer) but same result power wise

Its more how you get them setup on the dyno than choice of carbs imho, the carbs are all similar. boggs will advise you what there manifolds are made to fit as you need to get the float bowls angled correctly.

very worth while mod ! but factor dyno time into the budget

I have Mikuni CV40mm carbs from a GSXR1100, seem to work well and often overlooked and therefore cheap! Very smooth delivery with an FR1 CAM (300). Mine also run using standard Pinto machanical fuel pump!!! with a tank return pipe.

Sean

quick bump on this gents

what pump is everyone using? the standard pinto mechanical one, bike one or an aftermarket one such as facet?

can anyone recommend me a pump for 150/160bhp?

Cheers, steve

I use Yamaha R1 pump both with R1 carbs and newer ZX6 carbs. Whilst the pinto works for some, a great deal do not.

You need about 3psi and not much more so most bike ones would be ok and they are cheap second hand. I would get the pump off the same bike where

your carbs come from.

Andi

well ive purchased a set of zx9r carbs, got them pretty cheap off ebay so will see how bogg bros get on with them!

now just need either a bike fuel pump or a normal fuel pump with a reg

then fingers crossed it'll be ready for the road again!

• 2 weeks later...

looks like i've been robbed on ebay :diablo: so i went to local bike breakers today and picked up some 900 firblade carbs with tps for £80, reasonable i thought. dropped them off at bogg bros this afternoon :)

fuel pump wise, from what i could see on ebay it looks like their fuel pump is somehow fixed into the tank, so i guess i'll have to go for a facet one or similar with a regulator

sooo, if the carbs need about 2.5/3.0psi what does the pump need to flow for them?

also, does anyone know of a regulator with guage that doesnt cost £60+?

cheers, steve

There is apump on ebay at 20 squid inc postage which blows at 2.5 to 4 no need for a reg? mower man :good:

my thinking was that while it may be right right psi it may not flow enough for the carbs at high revs. i might be worrying over nothing here bu i thought it was best to ask anyway.

The McGill Motorsport regulators are good value Mc Gill Regulator

brilliant! i'll get one of these ordered :D

many thanks, steve