Where To Get 2B Front Wishbone Bushes

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Where can I get a set of wishbone bushes for my Hood - the black plastic inserts

I had a set in the bits part box when I bought the car from Mitch but they are a larger diameter by a fair old margin.....

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

Just taken one of the existing bushes out and have the new one here. Photo does not show too well but its probably at least 1mm overall dia to big

I cut off the exposed section of the bush to allow me to get it out - hence its just a straight bush in the photo

No way in earth the new ones will compress enough to go into the existing wishbone tube

bush_zps9fa497c8.jpg

I can turn the bush down to the correct dia in the drill with a file and sandpaper, but something tells me that's not a great solution for all 16 bushes that I want to replace whilst the engine is all out....

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest ianjenn

That's what they were like from RH. when you press them in they deform and are pretty horrible. You have to then ream them out and cut off any excess from the outside that gets sheared off as they press in

Guest david_l_perry

Gbs sell the same units for both the zero and the 2b as the same part. Thats what I have. Best option I think will be turning them down on the drill press with file. Done this before ans it worked well enough, just didnt fancy doing 16 if i could avoid it.

I had an advisory on the last mot with some slight play in the lower wishbone on ine side ao figured i would replace the lot.

Most of the play actually is in the rusted inner metal sleeve and threaded bolt as they are very loose fits. Going to get some new bolts with longer shanks rather than standard threaded bolts and replace the lot whilst i am on the job.

Certainly simpler getting at it all with no engine in the car !

Guest david_l_perry

Yep, pretty much figured that was the case.

I shall chastise Mitch with a large beating stick in his bare bottom when I see him next.

The tubes can seen to have worn where the threads have been rubbing over the years....

Guest david_l_perry

M10 bolts in the wishbone assembly on mine with 14mm spacer tube and internal tube dia of 10mm.

The play has come from the thread wearing and corroding into the tube over the last I guess 10 years.

Guest david_l_perry

Picked up my new high tensile long shank bolts, got my new steel sleeve tubes turning up later this week and then to get it all replaced as one of the other winter jobs....

Nice

i found the same issue. I have a little hobby lathe so turned them down a bit. I did find though that as they span they expanded a bit so be careful not to cut too much off the diameter. Leave them slightly oversize.

Then put them in the freezer. Actually i think i froze them before lathing as well so the plastic was easier to cut.

Also i have ridges in the wishbone ends so i cut grooves in the bushes to correspond. This also happens to stop the bush turning which is a good thing as you want the bush to turn on the outer sleeve (well that my thinking anyway).

I then packed grease in the gap in the middle between the bushes and then put the sleeve in.

hth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

All done. New bushe, new steel bearing tubes, new bolts woth long shanks, all greased up, freshly painted and all good to go.

Another job off the list before the engine fit......