Noisy Tappet

Guest Tim Norman

• 1 month later...
Guest Tim Norman

Still having issues so decided to take the timing cover off. In the process of cleaning it noticed it was cracked. Never going to get good/any oil pressure on a Rover V8 with a cracked timing cover. So new one and gaskets sourced. Hopefully that will be the end of the trials and tribulations and I can actually enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

Finally! I sourced a new timing cover, but it is a pre SD1 cover so the oil pump is very shallow and the best pressure you can get is about 30PSI. Put it all together and it works. SO I then sourced an upgrade kit which basically puts a spacer plate and has larger gears to move the oil round. It involves drilling bases and putting roll pins in. All of which would be easy of I still had the cover on the bench. So I will be doing it hanging upside down under the car. One of the hoses also needs replacing as it isa different diameter on the pre SD1 water pump so just waiting for that to arrive. Hopefully then I will be back on the road.

Note to self.

Make sure all bolts are removed before trying to prise the timing cover off or it might crack! Still it wasn't the pump like a once friend kept telling me it was and wouldn't accept my explanation as to why it wasn't, as a result he refused to help me with it despite me not asking for it. It seems petty to chuck a friendship away over something so small but I can't be arsed to make the effort. At the end of the day my life won't suffer by not having him in it.