Help With Front Clamshell Wings

Guest Moog6

Guest Moog6

Hi Everyone,

Need some help with tips for fitting Fibre glass Clam wings on my kit car.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do fix them?

Measurements where they should sit?

What brackets to get and where to buy them?

Thanks Dave. 8)

Off the top of my head I can't even remember seeing a car with them fitted at any of the event's I've been to. The cycle wings are more popular not just because of the look but it has been said that the clam shell ones generate lift at speed which is alright on a plane but not a car. My car has lots of holes where they were fitted before my ownership and the vendor tried to make me take them but I stood firm and left them behind. All a matter of personal choice and taste really but make sure you are sure before you start making holes. Good luck.

They are good in the rain though and stop you getting hit by stones thrown up by the wheels. It's a matter of choice! The S7 had a bent tube that came up by the headlight support that the front of the clamshell fitted to and then holes were drilled through the flange of the wings and the side of the monocoque. There is a very confusing guide to doing it in the build manual, if you have a copy.

Exmo was the same - a bent tube at the front strut top, that mounted the front of the wing, then lovely supplied roofing bolts :D for the run down the side of the body, with a rubber trim strip in between. I saw many people added a second piece of narrow box-section tube half way down the wing to support it, but we never bothered and never had problems.

I actually quite like/prefer the swept wings from an aesthetic point of view.

I also am not entirely sure swept wings are IVA compliant, are they? I thought they didn't provide enough covering around the circumference of the front wheel and so failed? I thought that was why you never see them on a new build these days...?

edit: yup, see "wheel guards" section...

Edited by brumster

Does this car require IVA? If so, the robin hood wings dont normally cover enough of the tyre towards the front of the car.

EDIT: See its been mentioned already. Its the 30 degrees from vertical to the front of the car that they dont cover. Westfield do make a wing that passes so it can be done though.

Edited by theduck

• 2 months later...