Pinto Starter Motor

Gusty

Hi all,

Having trouble starting my 2.0 pinto . Always seems to turn over slow. I've just replaced the battery with a heavy duty Bosch one and still no improvement. It never quite seems fast enough to get it going. After 20 secs of cranking it's really slow, wait 5 mins it recovers then dies again. I've got everything earthed correctly following rebuild. It did start and run great but it's got progressively worse. Could this be a timing issue or knackered starter motor?? Looks like the original 1982 Lucas unit.!

Cheers all

Guest 2b cruising

Starter motors do tend to get very lazy with age.

You would be far better off getting a high torque motor.

They are more expensive but well worth the money.

If you have done all the power and earthing contacts that's about it .

Not worth trying to rebuild, unless you can get rewinding done for free.

You will find new high torque ones on eBay without problem.

Don't pay high prices at places such as CBS or GBS.

Try euro part getting our discount.

Edited by 2b cruising

If you're running a standard Pinto it maybe worth-while ( if you have the time ) stripping down the old starter & solenoid.The solenoid is a favourite for burnt contacts & muck, they can be opened with care, make sure you un-solder the coil connections FIRST; then its possible to open the can by easing back the crimped side, clean fixed & moving contacts ,re-assemble & check solenoid operation without starter. Mark motor with hack-saw cuts to all mating parts & remove the very long screws, this will allow access to the brush gear & armature commutator. After decades of running there is probably a fair amount of muck which can easily be cleaned off. Used a very fine W&D paper between brushes & comm to polish the copper & check that the mica insulation is not proud of the adjacent copper segments. This is only a brief outline of what's possible, stripped & cleaned Florins starter 40k miles ago & still running O.k Give it a go may save you a load of pennies.

Edited by florin metal works

If your running FR32 and have a distributor chances are your ignition is advanced for idle and that is to much for cranking, not much you can do unless you go Megajolt and set a less advanced cranking ignition

I had a starter issue that with a jump from a large diesel car smoked and made the diesels lights dim

I replaced with a high torque starter and never had an issue again

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I will try disconnecting one of the leads first. Failing that high torque starter. There's a company selling high torque 1.4 kW starters on the bay for £80 delivered. What are your thoughts?

Cheers Andy

Quick update. Disconnected the coil lead turns over marginally quicker but nothing significant . Turns over for 15/20 secs at a reasonable speed then struggles to turn it over at all. Waited a minute or two tried again and was struggling to turn over, very slow then it caught and started and I was amazed! So maybe a little too much advance but I think the main cause is the starter??? Also I have twin Dellortos and from looking down the trumpets from a considerable distance!! I noticed fuel pooling in one and three?? Any ideas?

Bit of back ground info. Car had been stood for seven years prior to me purchasing it. I have spent the winter rebuilding the engine. New bottom end shells. Honed cylinders and new rings. FR32 cam went back in as hardly any wear.Fitted vernier pulley. Just plonked the carbs back on as I know nothing about those. New accuspark ignition module. It idles ok and revs ok with a few splutters! I'm also having trouble bleeding the coolant system as this boils over after 15 mins running or so then settles down . As always, thanks for your help.

Andy

Guest mower man

I had probs like this on my 2.1 even with std cam but after research and bending a few ears I found that uprated starters were the way to go , didn't like the prices on the gear reduction stuff £220 + but found 140 watt upgrade at around 130£ ,incredible difference [ std is 80 watt ]can't remember name of co but it solved all my probs try ebay search even when I uprated to stage 2 head and a warm cam it was always on the button! Hope this helps mick :crazy: :search:

Guest 2b cruising

£80 ones are only slightly above standard.

Worth a try but buyer beware.

I fitted a 1.4kw to my Dohc when that was slow turning over. The new one is very good indeed.

As said earlier starters get lazy, even when timing correct.

If timing causing it, it will try tuning over quite quickly until it gets to the top of compression a stroke, then turn fast again to top of next compression stroke.

Lazy starter and timing fault give totally different sounds when turning over, no fast turning between compression strokes.

Jamie is the easiest method. Just put live to solenoid signal wire from battery + or remove King lead from coil. If still slow, new motor.

Also if starter lazy, it uses excessive power, robbing ignition system, week spark, bad starting.

Edited by 2b cruising

Thanks all. There is a company doing a 140kw standard motor for £33 delivered on clearance!! High torque geared one 140KW £80 delivered. May give the £80 a go. I think it's mainly the starter. Any ideas with the fueling issue with the carbs?

Thanks

eBay item 301817800174

Edited by Gusty