Insurance

Guest greggors84

Guest greggors84

Im thinking about buy a Robin Hood kit, but im a bit worried about insurance. Im planning on going halfs on the kit with a mate. When we finish the kit we will probably be 20/21. Where is the best place for insurance at this age. Is there any young drivers on here, that could tell me how much their insurance was and where they got it from.

Thanks

Hi Greg?

I wanted to add my son to my insurance,

as a thank you for helping me build it.

None of the usual companies would insure him at 19.

The only company I found who would insure him at 20 yrs old

was Graham Sykes with Sabre insurance.

Costta Lotta Munney tho'....

But his 20th birthday was on May 5th last year,

so he drove us from Kent to Stoneleigh,

in the B,

in the sunshine,

on his birthday.

The grin on his face was worth every penny !!!

Good luck with it..

Bob

Guest greggors84

Thanks for ive the info, ive spoken to someone who said adrian flux would be the best bet, if anyone has any other info i would really appreciate it

Thanks

Chris

Guest Mr Pid

You could try Barclays of all people!

Dunno wot they are like now but i was 19 and had a 350bhp sapphire cosworth and my insrance was only £1300 fully comp! i couldnt believe it myself.

If they're are still that cheap now then it would be worth a look.

Good luck :D

Guest timswait

I was 19 when I first insured my 2B and it was £1000 for 7500miles cover from Adrian Flux who were the cheapest I could find (newly built 2B, 1600cc stock standard engine). I'm now 20 with one years no claims and one speeding ticket and now it's £700. (still AF cheapest)

Guest 2BBoulton

I use Graham Sykes myself. I used them for my Spitfire and for my heavily modded Mini before moving onto the Hood. Now I have a few years no claims its only £300 fully comp with legal and breakdown cover but it wasn't much more for the other cars with less no claims.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nickinguk

try sureterm direct on0700 20 20 230

they gave me the best price when i 1st got my 2b on the road at 24 years old, think i paid around £300 with free breakdown cover B)

Guest cjbailey

Any news on the insurance front!

I am currently 18, picking up the kit just before my 19th birthday, so aim to have it on the road at either 20 or 21. I will (hopefully - touch wood) have a couple of years of no-claims bonus when I get there, but any info would be much appreciated.

BTW, I am currently with frizzel (through CSMA) on my 'normal' car, they wouldn't quote me on a kit until I have a couple of years no claims, they seem to be very cheap on production cars for people of my age, has anyone had any quotes with them for kits!?

Guest Tim Norman

I've not found many that can beat Roadsure. Their details will be in the next mag and also elsewhere on these hallowed pages under insurance :D

Cheers

Bobsmate

Guest Walters

:D I'm 24 and have a Robin Hood Exmo with a 3.5l V8. I'm paying £520 fully comp and my brother who is 19 has 3a with 2l Pinto and he is paying £700. These are both done with Adrian Flux and their kitcar department. The are different ways of doing it and reducing the price. One way is to do it on a limited millage policy, say 7,000 a year. The lower the miles per year the bigger the reduction. Another is to insure the car as a 'second car'. If you already have a car to run around in and tell Adrian Flux the RH will be your second car then they will more than likely give a further reduction. Finally, Insurance companies like it when your a member of an owners club and will give anything up to a 10% discount because you are a member.

Hope this puts those worries to rest. Happy driving!!

Scott

Guest cjbailey

Scott, could you give me a bit more info about your bro's policy? Is it fully comp, does he have any no-claims, is it limited mileage, etc? Also, I presume if I insured it as a second car then I would be starting with no no-claims again?

Guest neil gale

SURETERM are very cheap, as are KitcarInsurance.co.uk

I am 24 with Robin Hood as 2nd car, so 0 years no claims.

Had a claim 3 years ago (just)

Sureterm just quoted me £338 fully comp with agreed valuation and green flag roadside assistance :D

KitcarInsurance quoted £350 parts only inc legal cover?? (not 100% sure if thats good or not, but i guess most hoodies would fix their own car anyway so who needs labour?)

Adrian Flux were over £600 and nowhere near! :unsure:

Hope this helps, i was very suprised at how cheap Sureterm is!

PS - 0700 20 20 230 is their number

Guest mickmellors

Let us know then ! ! ! !

What quotes have you had ?

Did anyone refuse ?

Who were Cheapest ?

Who were Dearest ?

Who imposed what restrictions ?

Share the info ! ! ! !

Best wishes for a sensible quote.

Mick Mellors

Guest Wallace

I am currently building a 2B and i got some quotes last year based on a 17 year old.

Footman James TPFT £1075 with £350 excess, limited milleage of 4500.

Graham Sykes were £1401 with £400 excess limited milleage of 1500.

HIC were £1500.

Adrian Flux 3rd Party £1072 limited millage of 7500.

Surterm Direct wont insure anyone under 21.

Obsborne & Sons wont insure anyone under 21.

Hill House Hammond won insure anyone under 25.

All based on a 2B with a 1.6.

I hope this helps.