Big No From Edinburgh

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

Edinburgh has said no to congestion charging - by a margin of 3-1 so pretty conclusive - no doubt the slimy council will manage to stuff us commuters another way though.

currently on my way home - it takes 5 mins longer due to a new guided bus way introduced to ease congestion.... there is then a holdup later on where they are building a park and ride (which won't be used now as there is no congestion charge!!) and there are plans in place for july to close of george street to cars (there are three parrallel roads in the new town, princess street[buses only], george street [to be buses only], and queen street - narrowed and made congested last year....) all in all it should add another 15 mins to my journey home.

still hopefully by the summer my hood will be finished so I can enjoy the congestion open topped.....

anyway just thought id share that with you all.

J

If it's polution that they're worried about, creating congestion is self defeating. People will still use their cars, but they will be running inefficiently at tickover for an extended period. Surely it would make more sense to go with the flow, make it easier to get in, park, then get out again. That way the engines will run efficiently for a shorter period and as a consequense be less poluting.

I remember reading somewhere that the exhaust gasses of the Saab range running in London are actually cleaning crap from tha atmosphere - could have been a bit of shrewd marketing though.

I've been reading about the reversal of the Earth's magnetic field. Apparently we are overdue for a change and when it happens the magnetic field decreases temporarily. This may has disastrous consequences for use as the magnetic field protects us from some of the more harmful rays of the sun. Is this what is really happening to the ozone layer and the authorities are scared of causing a panic?

Colin

when it happens the magnetic field decreases temporarily.

So Yah Boo Sucks to all you Electronic Ignition devotees!!!!

My contact breaker & points system will still be running when your

Hall Effects are falling over due to low electromagnetism.....

Serves you all right.....Progress is NOT a good thing !!!!

All coils use electromagnetism to generate the spark but the electronic ignition can do it better at high revs thereby re-enforcing the earths magnetic field, so we should all convert to electronic ignition and save the planet :D

If you have the old fashioned ignition then you have to point the car the correct way but if you have electronic ignition then it's pointless.

Think about it... :blink:

think a bit more :blink:

:lol: Well done.

Guest Battery Bill
I remember reading somewhere that the exhaust gasses of the Saab range running in London are actually cleaning crap from tha atmosphere - could have been a bit of shrewd marketing though.

Jezza Clarkson was doing a report on polution, and he quouted some figures one of which was that if you spill a tablespoon full of petrol at a filling station, it causes more polution than driving a Porsche from London to Edinburgh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So why on earth are the "Red Arrows" allowed to spew Diesel and Dye fumes into the air 5 or 6 times a day? :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Guest timswait

That definitely sounds like marketing BS to me.

Jezza Clarkson was doing a report on polution, and he quouted some figures one of which was that if you spill a tablespoon full of petrol at a filling station, it causes more polution than driving a Porsche from London to Edinburgh

That depends how you measure pollution. Hydrocarbon emissions, possibly, CO2 emissions, blatantly not.

I've been reading about the reversal of the Earth's magnetic field. Apparently we are overdue for a change and when it happens the magnetic field decreases temporarily. This may has disastrous consequences for use as the magnetic field protects us from some of the more harmful rays of the sun. Is this what is really happening to the ozone layer and the authorities are scared of causing a panic?

Even though it does flip very rapidly on a geological timescale that still means a few thousand or tens of thousands of years, so even Big Jim probably won't be around then! :p

Guest 2BBoulton

With all things ask where the money is.

The government (and people in general) will only do things if it profits them.

My theory is as follows:-

The Earth used to be covered in ice and this was called an ice age, it then warmed up and the ice melted. At this point there were no cars on the roads, no factories, in fact no people. But still the ice melted.

Once it was warm man thought it would be good to evolve a bit and the Earth carried getting on warmer. After a couple of thousand years evolving they invented pollutants and still the Earth got warmer.

While the Earth was getting warmer politicians and business men (and women) evolved. They looked around and pondered how they could make themselves richer so they asked scientists.

The scientists were now developing new technologies that no one would buy as the existing technology was working fine. At this point they realised that the Earth was still getting warmer but now they had found a way of selling the new technology.

They blamed cars, industry, governments etc for the pollution. The governments then taxed those less likely to complain (thus making lots of money for old rope) and the scientists got lots of money to develop new technology. While all this was going on the Earth still got warmer.

I think I have found the money..............

Bruce Boulton

25/02/05

What they do is get rid of the ozone in the air, which is just three oxygen atoms together. I'm not sure if it's then burnt in the engine, or if it goes back to the air.