Thoroughly Tested My Cooling System Today

speedtripledan

Went for a drive today in this blistering heat, 1st time the car has been used in really hot weather. Dual carriageway driving, temps were bang on, thrashing round the lanes, bang on then the real test really slow traffic for a few miles temps went up but never past the EWP controller set point. The combination of coolex rad, retro ford water rail and Davis Craig waterpump system make the zetec very stable under all conditions, even track day thrashing.

The addition of the thermostatic oil cooler also improved the oil temps,it kept them where they should be. The last track day they sky rocketed.

The joys of adding BHP, once you have all the power you need to control it...

Run out of mods to do, need another project now

I don't want mine above 100 in traffic. Mine will go higher without blowing off if I adjust the set point but 90 is my target temp. I wasn't ever able to get stable temps with the raceline water rail had to change to retro ford.

With regards your engine it depends on your cooling system set up, but I believe zetecs like 90deg

Guest James24785

Hmmm I believe mine has the raceline rail.

Getting a bit worried because I've not used the car since I bought it, and I'm doing a trackday in three weeks haha!

Track day tip......dont turn the engine off right away when you return to the pits.

Let it idle for 2-3 minutes, otherwise you can get localised hot spots and/or blowing off

the rad cap valve.

Essential for anyone with a turbo installation, otherwise the oil inside the turbo bearing can cook,

which will b*&*&er it next time you start it.

I drove to my IVA almost exactly 1 year ago. The test centre was near Heathrow airport (Yeading) and one of the hottest days of the whole year for the whole country was recorded on that day at, yup, Heathrow - 36 degC!! I left at 6am and spent 2 hours in rush hour traffic, only just making it to my test on time (after having been stopped by the police for not having a number plate).

Then I had to drive back...AND then I repeated the whole thing 3 days later for my re-test.

Now, that is an almost literal baptism of fire! :vava:

• Like 1

Track day tip......dont turn the engine off right away when you return to the pits.

Let it idle for 2-3 minutes, otherwise you can get localised hot spots and/or blowing off

the rad cap valve.

Essential for anyone with a turbo installation, otherwise the oil inside the turbo bearing can cook,

which will b*&*&er it next time you start it.

that's where my Davis Craig ewp is good, it runs the pump and fan until it's dropped the temp 10deg after ignition off