Aldi Tools

Guest erichetherington

Guest erichetherington

I know from some of the previous threads that several of us have bought tools from Aldi's especially thier special offers. If you do try and break them asap! I bought an angle grinder a couple of months ago, didn't need it until a coyple of weeks ago and when I used it it broke. Off I trots back to the shop, oh no they say not us you have to read the leaflet and phone the helpline.

3 times I phoned the helpline, on hold for 1/2 hour each time before I got fed up and hung up. Passed Machine Mart yesterday so bought a new one (last one lasted ten years).

Took Aldi one back this morning, asked for manager gave it him and told him what he can do with it and his shop, worth it just for look on his face as I walked out.

Guest Takumi

I must say, the only tool I have had problems with were B&Q own brand stuff. I bought a die grinder and flexi shaft kit, about £25 ish and within 15mins of light use, it actually exploded with green flames and sparks.. no word of a lie! I took it back still smoldering in its box and stinking of burn't insulation, and they couldn't really grasp the seriousness of the fault.. they replaced it and that one burn't out within 30 mins.. Very poor design, not enough cooling vents for the motor, bad or no heat sinks at all for the electronics, and clearly no thermal cut-out..

I bought a similar grinder and flexishaft kit from ALDi (might have been LiDL can't rem) hasn't failed! its excellent and only cost £15 , tempted to buy another when I see them again.. so far its done several alloy heads and some light work on a cast iron head, no problems at all..

As with most things, some stuff it great and some stuff really bad... sorry to hear of your grinder saga, not the sort of thing you want to fall apart with a high speed cutting disc near your hands..

tak

Guest tom2b

I bought a drill from lidl and its the best drill ive ever owned, bought air tools from aldi and there excellent. They were a very good price, sounds like they make the savings by not covering the warranty very well!

Guest pwlcarz

I would check with my local trading standards.

I believe under the "Sale of Goods Act", goods not of "merchantable quality" are the responsibility of the vendor. It's up to the shop to replace it or give you your money back. You shouldn't have to go chasing Helplines if its packed up in a short period of time.

Doesn't seem tomatter where it is from as most stuff is coming from China- we have had machine mart angle grinders going onfire which the goons behind the counter insisted on sending back to the HQ :) also Black and decker drills, screw fix drills and no doubt Aldi's time will come but I don't fancy being sat on the compressor when it goes bang!!

Guest erichetherington

I know you're right that I could have demanded my rights but to be honest it cost <£9 and I couldn't be bothered with any more hassle.

Main lesson is to try stuff as soon as it's bought, not just put it to one side for a while before using it.

Still won't buy anything else from them though!

Guest Fred2b

Just seen on the Aldi website from Thursday 24th May .... fan cooled gasless MIg welder £99.99 I just might give that a try since I burnt out my arc welder.

Fred2b ;)

Guest allenr03

If a product deveops a fault within the first six months the supplier has to prove it isn't faulty or repair/replace/refund the item. It isn't upto you toprove an item is faulty. You can demand a refund up to the point where you accept the goods. This is called period of acceptance and changes depending on what you are buying. Basically, the period is a reasonable period of time that would allow you the opportunity to make sure the goods are of merchantable quality and fit for purpose.It also allows you to make sure the goods are of a quality that befits the price you paid. An example of this would be a camera. You wouldn't have accepted the goods until you had had the chance to use it and download the pictures or have some printed. At this point if you're happy with the results you keep it if you're not take it back. If it goes faulty after you have accepted the goods you can't demand a refund. The supplier can offer a remedy and this might be a repair, replacement or a refund. You can't demand a refund though.

Aldi supplied it and should have taken responsibility for it. Your contract isn't with their supplier. They have the right to inspect the goods which I suspect is why they wanted to go through their helpline, but if you can't get through within a reasonable period of time they should replace or refund the item intstore. Trading standards would be your port of call after that.

Its never worth having a go at the people in store, they are usually following a policy. Ask for the General Manager, they will generally make a sensible commercial decision!! If they don't the MD will!! Put it in writing.

Rich