Insurance Companies

WallerZ

Getting closer to finishing the Zero I have begun looking into insurance.

Problems straight away I have found (from A-Plan) :

• Age (Expected this one)
  • Second car - Won't be insured due to being my only car (selling my Punto to fund the running of the Zero and afford my final year course fees)
  • Experience - Won't be insured as I have no experience (of at least a year) on a rear wheel drive performance car.

Does anybody know of any insurers that may overlook these little issues?

Cheers,

Zach

This was with A-Plan, Had to have my own car - main policy holder.

I'm at Uni so won't need a car, will probably keep the Zero locked up over winter and have it in the summer/warmer months, maybe a month or two to start with (patience doesn't seem to work with this car...lol) It wasn't just RWD experience, had to have the experience of a similar car, example used was a BMW Z4. I couldn't help but laugh at them for the suggestion asking if they were serious! To buy one, run and insure it for a year, would cost me more than building the Zero!

Adrian Flux have just quoted me for £675 with 5k miles and as my only car. Quite happily take that with my age and "experience". Will include 30 day period of VIN number driving for IVA too.

• Like 1

Guest aidankinnell

I got insured via A Plan yesterday, £250ish for me (29) on 4000 miles an no experience. I have a second car which is the only difference to your situation.

I dealt with Claire at the Thatcham branch, very helpful. Think the insurance was underwriten KGM. It's more than I wanted to pay but was having issues with my age as the IVA is only 2 weeks away so needed it sorted.

Starting to get somewhere with a couple quotes now, some looking very good indeed! Panic stations are being aborted, thought I'd fall at the last hurdle of insuring the thing! Lol. Main issue with most appears to be the age. Damn stereotypes!

Just did mine at the weekend. £107 for a late 30 year old! On a £6k value with 3000 miles a year. Got this through Frank pickles, who used highway, part of Liverpool Victoria. Always had a good price and service from them

Edited by Thrashed

Good that you've got alternatives as I'd avoid Flux like the plague.

Just the other day a guy in the Mini club was telling us how they have cancelled his policy and are trying to charge £300+ cancellation fee. Apparently they reckon he hasn't been paying the premium (monthly direct debit). He's got them over a barrel as his bank statement shows the money going out and then coming back in a few days later. Unfortunately in the meantime though he's stuck with an un-insured car that he'll need to take out a fresh policy on whilst Flux get sorted out.

He's actually been very lucky as he was pulled over a few nights ago for no insurance (they had obviously taken it off the database). Fortunately it was late at night the copper couldn't raise anyone on the phone, he had the policy docs in the car and could show the payment being taken recently on his phone (mobile banking app). They accepted that and let him carry on. Sounds like if it had happened during the day he would have been charged and had his car seized. This was what prompted him to contact Flux as he hadn't had any warning from them (apparently they sent him letters but they must all have been lost in the post).

Iain

Well obviously the cheapest and best deal will probably win IMO. Providing I have the paperwork and can prove it's being paid, then I should be ok? I have mobile banking too so back up there. Still got about a month before I need to decide, but my main panic of being unable to insure is over :) haha!