Starter Motor Prolem?

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

Hi,

Im currently putting in the wiring and have connected the starter solenoid (have not yet put full engine loom in). On turning the key there is a clunk from the solenoid as it throws, but the starter does not then turn - is this simply because I have more wiring to plumb or is there a likely problem with the starter? - I had thought the starter would at least turn, although a lack of fuel, spark, oil, water etc would make starting a little difficult ;-)

just a query really as worst case I can pick up another starter.

cheers, John

Guest Julian B

Hi John

Well it should turn if:-

1 You have a permanent supply from the battery (a thick wire coming straight from the positive battery terminal the starter motor)

2 The engine is earthed back to the battery (which it would seem to be if you get a noise from the solenoid)

3 The engine is not seized.

It could be dirty solenoid contacts or a missing supply somewhere. Check that you have a permanent supply on the starter with a meter or a 12Volt bulb or horn will do.

If all of the above are ok then like you have said, try another starter motor.

good luck

Guest daveg

John

I have had this problem and it was no more serious than a flat battery... :)

I have also had this on a rebored/reground engine due to the engine being so tight that the starter couldn't turn the engine over....I fixed this with a tow start.... :D

Dave

Guest johnboymac

hi,

I took the starter motor out last night to look at what was happening, turn the key and the cog is thrown, but the motor is not running at all.

I checked the battery and it is reading 12.2 across the battery - This is low, so will charge it before I do anything drastic. The battery has sat in the shed since october, then been used to test the lights etc for a while so it is very likely that it doesnt have enough charge.

cheers, John