Ford 2.8 V6 Cologne Assistance

Guest Andy Badger

Guest Andy Badger

Hi all, ive got a 2.8 v6 ford cologne engine in my cobra kit car,

theres a couple of things that i need to do.

Firstly, i need to know how to date the engine.

Also, i have an annoying problem where the engine revs then drops then revs and drops whenever it is idling. It will do this revving and dipping whether the car is warm or cold, it will do it whether its just been rolled off the drive or its been driven 20 miles.

It seems the only thing that works is if i kill the ignition then restart the engine. Its been the only way ive found to cure it so far. Not ideal im sure you'll agree, so if anyone can assist me with this one, id be most grateful.

Oh yeah, try not to be too technical, it'll ony confuse me! lol

cheers

Andy

Ford use the first 2 letters of the engine code ( the one stamped on your block) to indicate the year of manufacture.

The first letter is the year and the next is the month.

The month indicator (second letter) seems to be random, however the first letter, the year, is sequential starting with E for 1965 up to W for 1979 with no I, O, Q, or V then it starts at A for 1980 to Y for 2000 this time missing out I, O, Q, and U, then from 2001 its numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,

As for the random idle, check the obvious first, induction side air leaks, usually between air metering and engine, pipes, gaskets etc.

Guest robinj66

Adding to what Paul said - check here for decoding European Ford engine numbers. Be careful with the Cologne engines as they have the number marked twice, once with additional letters. To illustrate, mine shows PRE FE*****. I need to ignore the PRE and the table shows my engine manufactured in Dec 1985. I know this is correct because I obtained a letter from Ford for the SVA.

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/vindecoder.html

As far as your engine problems, are you running fuel injection or carburettor. If carb, then which one? Is this a problem that has developed or is the engine new to you?

Guest Andy Badger
Adding to what Paul said - check here for decoding European Ford engine numbers. Be careful with the Cologne engines as they have the number marked twice, once with additional letters. To illustrate, mine shows PRE FE*****. I need to ignore the PRE and the table shows my engine manufactured in Dec 1985. I know this is correct because I obtained a letter from Ford for the SVA.

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/vindecoder.html

As far as your engine problems, are you running fuel injection or carburettor. If carb, then which one? Is this a problem that has developed or is the engine new to you?

Hi guys,

thanks for the info re: engine identification.

As for the intermittend engine idle problem, its a 38DGAS carb & its always done it ever since ive had it. Will have to check for any air leaks & see if that solves it...its running like a bag of poo at the moment.

thanks guys

Andy

Guest robinj66

Have you got a manual or auto choke? It could possibly be a problem with a faulty auto choke - the only thing that leads me to this is that switching off the engine cures it and it occurs hot or cold.

Andy, I think I have my old carb somewhere (will have to check) if it might help to prove/eliminate the carb as a source of the problem. Are you going to the Detling show?

Guest Simon cooper

Hi Andy,

Hunting is caused by a lean mixture although there can be many causes.

Favorite prob on that carb is a blocked idle jet. Not too sure how it comes and goes if it is other than a piece of "Floating" muck.

With the engine running and hunting, crack off the idle jets one at a time. They are found near the top of the carb, one on either side. large brass screws with flat blade heads.

If you crack off one at a time about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. if the revs pick up, you have crap in that jet. This always causes hunting. Clean it out and reset your idle mixture.

Other known causes as previously mentioned, air leaks.

Usualy around the base gasket of the carb.

One other thing to check, pull off your oil filler cap and put your hand over it. you should have slight pressure. If you have suction, your inlet manifold gasket has gone internaly and is a real puzzler as you cannot see it.

Spray a bit of carb cleaner around the base of the carb to identify any air leaks if all else fails.

Good luck,

Simon

Guest Andy Badger
Hi Andy,

Hunting is caused by a lean mixture although there can be many causes.

Favorite prob on that carb is a blocked idle jet. Not too sure how it comes and goes if it is other than a piece of "Floating" muck.

With the engine running and hunting, crack off the idle jets one at a time. They are found near the top of the carb, one on either side. large brass screws with flat blade heads.

If you crack off one at a time about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. if the revs pick up, you have crap in that jet. This always causes hunting. Clean it out and reset your idle mixture.

Other known causes as previously mentioned, air leaks.

Usualy around the base gasket of the carb.

One other thing to check, pull off your oil filler cap and put your hand over it. you should have slight pressure. If you have suction, your inlet manifold gasket has gone internaly and is a real puzzler as you cannot see it.

Spray a bit of carb cleaner around the base of the carb to identify any air leaks if all else fails.

Good luck,

Simon

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses, Im not going to the detling show so i wont be able to take it off you, but thanks for the offer, its much appreciated.

Not only is it hunting, its just running a bit rough, so im wondering whether the car would benefit with a bit of TLC for the carb to see whether it is that.

Once again, thanks for the assistance guys, will keep you informed

Andy