Pinto 2.0l Clutch

Guest steveharr

Guest steveharr

The clutch on my donor 2.0l pinto was slipping before dismantling.

What do I need to replace and how?

Do I need any special tools?

Do I need to replace the release bearing too?

Steve.

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Steve,

You will need a clutch kit - costs £40 upwards depending where you buy it.

This consists of driven plate, cover assembly and release bearing.

The driven plate needs to be centralised when replacing it - there is normally a special tool for doing this - but I always manage to find something suitable.

You should check why the original clutch was slipping - could be the rear crankshaft oil seal leaking - easy replacement job with the engine out of the car.

Release bearing normally comes with kit, best to replace it.

HTH

Terry

Terry

I will be replacing the rear crank oil seal when I remove the rebuilt engine from its stand and will replace the clutch before installing it. I'm a little concerned however about replacing the oil seal. I have nothing suitable to use as a drift to knock it in. Is is acceptable to gently tap all round a bit at a time to push it in?

How easy is the old seal to remove?

Richard

Guest TerryBarry

Richard,

I normally resort to the method of drilling a couple of holes - screw in self tappers and pull out with a Mole wrench. Always meant to get one of those hooky tools but never have.

Make sure the recess is clean then offer up the new seal lubricated with engine oil and tap in carefully working around & around the seal - I used a piece of hard plastic as a drift.

The oil seal is about 4 inches in diameter - my sockets don't go that big - maybe someone else out there has a better idea.

Terry

Guest steveharr

Terry,

What do you mean by the driven plate being centralised, is it obvious when you do the job?

You say there is a special tool but you normally find something suitable, like what?

There was some oil in the dust, I suppose that means the seal was leaking?

I presume the crank shaft needs to come off to change the seal or am I wrong?

Cheers, Steve.

Guest WHEELNUT

Also VERY,VERY IMPORTANT to fit the driven plate or clutch friction disc the correct way around!!! i.e. check for marking "flywheel side" on centre of disc.Fitting it the wrong way around will necessitate completely removing it again.

Steve

What do you mean by the driven plate being centralised, is it obvious when you do the job?

You say there is a special tool but you normally find something suitable, like what?

What you will need to do is get a 3/8 extension bar ,wrap tape around it till its

a snug fit into the flywheel spigot,then guesstimate where the clutch driven plate

splined hole will be in relation to flywheel wrap tape around the 3/8 ext at this point till its a snug fit into clutch driven plate,then assemble clutch onto flywheel,

using 3/8 extension as an alignment tool tighten clutch cover ensuring that 3/8

extension can be slid in/and out freely,this will mean that clutch driven plate is aligned.

I do'nt wish to be rude ,but if you are unable to achieve this, you may not have sufficient mechanical skills to enable you to do a lot of jobs that you will come up

against!!!!

Sorry to be blunt.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

Guest TerryBarry

Well - looking at those Jim I'm tempted to bid for the last one "Just in Case for the next time "

Steve

I've always managed with what Ianz describes.

£67 sounds expensive - Halfrauds were about £55 a year ago for the Quinton Hazell parts.

The oil seal is just behind the flywheel.

If you haven't got a Haynes manual for the Sierra - nip out and get one - you could do worse than find one on ebay HERE £5.50 at present or try your local charity shop

The reason why the clutch plate has to be centralised is that when the gearbox is refitted to the engine the first motion shaft ( the bit that sticks out of the gearbox) has to line up with the clutch plate and the spigot bush in the centre of the crankshaft.

One great advantage you should have is that your engine and gearbox should be on the floor ( not in the car ) when you test this for the first time.

Terry

Guest steveharr

Ian,

I think I'll just be able to manage thanks, the reason I sound a little unsure is that I don't have the engine or manual here with me and it is 3 years since I last laid my eyes on the engine!

So I'm sure if I try really really hard I'll be OK, thanks for your suggestion.

Steve.

just to chip in , dont forget to check the input shaft seal on the gearbox as this shaft goes directly through the clutch plate , have a sniff of any oil you find, gear oil has a very distinctive smell. The rear crankshaft seal is in front of the flywheel so any engine oil will be thrown outwards onto the bell housing, most of this will collect at the bottom and drip on the floor although some that collects above the clutch can drip into the clutch assembly and give problems.

Also when fitting a new oil seal be very careful of the end of the crankshaft as this is very sharp and can damage the seal, also I would reccomend using genuine ford seals.

I recently replaced the clutch on our exmo and paid less than £40.00 from a local motor factor, (although this was at trade) it is worth shopping around.

john

Guest steveharr

Thanks for all your advice,

I managed to pick up a 3-in-1-clutch kit from Halfords for £28, bargain! I will try for a seal/gasket set now.

Is there anyone near Cheltenham that has a clutch alignment tool I could borrow?

Steve.