Evidence Quality Cctv

Guest red7

Agreed/seconded, hikvision are everywhere (often rebadged by security companies), for the money, unless you're after a commercial grade system - but to be honest, for the features they have at the price bracket, they are pretty damn impressive. 1080p coax systems are cost effective now. Just buy decent cameras; some of the cheaper CCDs crap out after a few years and the whitebalance goes off on them.

Edited by brumster

Would you believe it. The authorities have gone and installed a cctv in my street today.

Probably best thing....

I have worked at many violent and high risk establishments with mahoosive amounts spent on CCTV.

Just to be defeated by an £8 asda hoodie

• Like 1

Last week in the the street where I live a 19 year old stabbed a 62 year old shopkeeper 18 times under the watchfull eye of muliple cameras. She's dead and he's been caught thanks partly to the footage from numerous cameras along his escape route.

I keep meaning to setup some cctv although i'm planning on the lowest cost route of an old webcam and a pc to run it. There are loads of programs out there that automatically start it recording etc and fire off emails when something moves in it's vision.

For now i leave it pointing out of the front window so anyone who comes to the door snooping at least sees it and possibly thinks twice. We regularly have people turn up on some rehabilitation program (not sure if it's genuine or not) trying to sell sponges and the like. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt but who knows what they are thinking and a laminated 'ID' card isn't exactly reassuring.

I still think the best deterant for the garage though is a trip wire connected to a smoke grenade... can't steal what you can't see ;)

• Like 1

CCTV is as only as good as the camera lens and then the resolution of the video chip

You want high pixel count and 1080p or above or you just wont capture enough detail to recognise a the crim or read a number plate

Most domestic CCTV cameras are wide angle so you can cover a lot of area but cant recognise a face, this only makes you even more frustrated.

CCTV cameras are however a deterrent, its known as Hardening the target make them look elsewhere.

There are lots more tactics you can apply and I would encourage you to consult the local Police for advice and they will give out ultraviolet permanent markers and windo stickers to say that stuff is marked.

Its like making your car faster, power, torque, brakes, handling, adding lightness