Extending Fuel Pickup Pipe

Guest tom2b

Guest tom2b

I am using the sierra fuel sender unit and pick up pipe in the large rh stainless steel fuel tank and it needs extending. A friend of mine was going to do it but is reluctant to tig weld an extension to it as there is a small circuit board in it that he doesnt want to fry.

Has anyone on here had eny joy extending their pipe and if so, how?

Guest Jaffer

Or you could use the bits from the sierra sender unit to make your own with the correct length pick up, adjusted float switch etc etc. You then have the opportunity to use a larger flange fitting, [piece of brass or something] to fit onto the tank screws properly, rather than the kibble with the washers etc.....

Just a thought.... :wacko:

Grah.

Guest Alex Spratt

i asked this question a couple of months back and was told that if i extended it with rubber pipe it would work its way off over time! i ended up flaring (heating up with a blowtouch and hammering dye down it then removing the dye) a piece of ss tube i use for an extension on allen keys! then "wedge" it on the end of the pipe and soldered it on with a normal soldering iron (this is also to stop it sucking air in at the joint!!!(when the tank is empty)). i do have a pic if needed.

remove the filter from the bottom, extend with copper small bore rad pipe,

put the plastic filter back on bottom and thats it done!!!

wont make your gauge work correctly though,

HTH

Mitch

Guest Alex Spratt
Alex can i have that pic please?

I thought it was unwise to have petrol pipe submerged in the tank?

can do, but it will be later when i get home. i dont have a clue how to post pics!!

Also for the gauge i extended the rod wiv a bit of coat hanger and to screw type copper wire connecting blocks. dont think i have a picture of this!

Edited by Alex

i chopped the top section of mine and extended it with a bulkhead fitting

it means the gauge is accurate on the last 3/4 of the tank, but you can do 50 miles before it starts to move from full tank

when it says you are empty, then you prolly are :wacko: