Passed Sva But Now Have To Have A Vehicle Id Check

Guest FET

Insured the car on the chassis plate and drove it to the SVA test - nice drive in the sun. Passed test and I submitted my application for registration (age related plate expected). Have now received a letter from DVLA asking me to bring the car to them for a vehicle id check :rolleyes: Although I was legally able to drive the car (potentially unroadworthy) to the SVA the letter states that I must trailer the car as it is not licensed :blink: I cannot of course license it as it is not registered yet. Are they correct or is this just a standard letter sent to all vehicle id check appointments?

Thanks for the replies..but

Just thought of another solution. If I can borrow trade plates from my local friendly garage then I should be able to drive to DVLA legally?

Looks like borrowing trade plates may not be legal as being used for 'private' use. Have bitten the bullet and booked a trailer. Small price to pay I guess considering all the other costs in building this car over the last 30 months.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by FET

Guest mastarforth

I asked my local DVLA office about this

They told me they would not refuse to test the vehicle if I drove it to the test.

So I did so. I am sure as the back of the fail sheets state (And I should know), you can drive tyhe vehicle on any public roads to a place to have something rectified that the vehicle failed upon as long as it is insured.

I believe and so did Gosforth Office, that this applies to DVLA also, as it is another step on the way to getting the car on the raod.

Dont know how the police would have seen it if I was pulled over however

The law is quite specific in saying it is an offence to drive an 'untaxed' car on the public highway. It then lists a number of exceptions such as to and from a pre-arranged MoT, etc. Vehicle identity check or build up inspection is not amongst the exceptions and is thus an offence. The law doesn't have to be logical or sensible but it is the Law. It could be challenged but who is going to pay for a court case when trailer hire is so much cheaper!

Nigel

The law is quite specific in saying it is illegal to drive an 'untaxed' car on the public highway. It then lists a number of exceptions such as to and from a pre-arranged MoT, etc. Vehicle identity check or build up inspection is not amongst the exceptions and is thus an offence. The law doesn't have to be logical or sensible but it is the Law. It could be challenged but who is going to pay for a court case when trailer hire is so much cheaper!

Nigel

Fred trade plates would be ok. Or as i did get local brake down firm to take it on a low loaded.

Glad i did as police at check!

Sounds like the build up inspection and they issue the chassis no as well.

This could have been done before SVA.

Stephen

Guest STEVE OXON

i had my bui and ident checked a year before sva.and they came to me at home.to issue chassis number.

worth asking for them to come to you well in advance.i had to wait a month till they were in''my area''

saved assing about with trailers etc.

steve

Guest craig030774

i made up my own chassis plate and no. went to sva got mac booked appointment at local office drove it there met battery bill on way had a bloke look over it and got an approval for an age related plate there and then

sorted

drove to beverley twice for sva and one to lincoln without the bobbies bothering me.

prob could not keep up :D

Guest chris brown

As you are allowed to drive to a VOSA site for a VIC without tax as stated on page 3 of there leaflet. Isn’t it about time DVLA produced a similar leaflet covering the BUI?

We seem to cover this every few months as it still appears some DVLA offices allow in fact advise you to drive there (Peterborough for one due to lack of parking). It would appear that VOSA have a little more sense than DVLA and have standardised it across the country

VIC Scheme

Guest jhfozzy

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994

Schedule 2 - Exempt vehicles

22. - (1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle [from VED] when it is being used solely for the purpose of;

( a ) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

( b ) bringing it away from any such test or check.

Just to clarify matters for anyone, taken from para 22 here

But it still doesn't mention BUI.

As mentioned above, just pre-book an MOT at a station which is situated after the BUI location.

John.

Edit: I found another version, and it says just this.

22.—(1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the

purpose of—

( a ) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a

specified date) for a compulsory test, or

( B ) bringing it away from a compulsory test.

Would a "compulsory test" cover the BUI??

Edited by Fozzy