Budget Cost Of A Zero

Guest filwaf

Hi all, First posting from a newbie !! I am seriously cosidering building a Zero but need to bring it in with a budget of £10K with a new reg plate. Am I in cloud cockoo land or is it in the realms of possibility ? Also are there any clubs etc in the Mersyside area where I may be able to get some good advice and meet like minded enthusiasts.

Personally I would say that yes, this would be possible. The only caveat I would add to that would be to make sure you include the cost of the IVA and registration as part of your budget as this will make a serrious dent in to it!

The cost of building a Zero varies with specification. Best idea (IMHO) would be to phone GBS, or better still visit the factory and talk to Richard (you should also be able to arrange a test drive, after which you will be hooked).

Joining the club (RHOCaR) will also be an advantage - the guys are a great bunch of people and a mine of useful information.

I finished my Zero 12 months ago. I probably spent about 12K on mine, but in £ per smile there's nothing on the road that even comes close.

Bob

Guest aidankinnell

I reckon the cost of mine will be between £7k and £8k (once its complete) but that's on an aged plate using a Sierra a the donor. A new zetec would have been nice but I couldn't justify the cost vs a 2litre pinto. Your cost will be determined by the spec and styling you decide to go for.

Guest tom-zero

i would also like to add that building a zero is very rewarding, and worth every penny, and from what i can see and have heard its a great vehice to drive once on the road.

i would also like to add that building a zero is very rewarding, and worth every penny, and from what i can see and have heard its a great vehice to drive once on the road.

You are soooo right.

You should be able to do it for 10K. The thing to do is plan out your big ticket items and decide whether you want to put in that little bit extra. Then remind yourself everytime you say yes you going to go over your budget. Cost it all out first.

Things that can make it swing by a couple of K are the decisions you make about :

fueling

ECU

gearbox

wiring

e.g. a set of AT throttle bodies is nearly a grand , but you can use the throttle body from the Zetec engine and the GBS plenum to reduce the cost to less than half that.

Visiting the factory and speaking to Richard is definitely good advice.

i guess a good question to ask is why do you want a new reg? Cars like these sell regardless of plate as people understand that they aren't production cars. whilst you will get more if you sell it with a new plate, i'm not sure about whether financially it will work out a better route than an age related route.

The parts that are used off a donor car are generally the heavy bits that don't wear out. Whilst a brand new zetec would be nice, a second hand mazda engine with 90k on the clock is still going to be pretty damn good and have a lot of life in it. You prob won't be doing more than 3-4k a year. My pinto is 22 years old and starts everytime! (famous last words).

If its a numberplate thing then you could just space the letters slightly (naughty i know) on your age related plate to make it look like it means something even though it doesn't.

just a thought

hth

With an age related plate, you can change it for a personalised one (as the age related one is unlikely to be anything useful and will NOT be the same as the donor).

If you're unlucky and get a Q plate, that's it. They can't be changed as far as I'm aware.

But there's no real stigma attached if it's on a kit car (except for the snobs of course) :)

I ended up over the 12k mark, but I did source new parts for most everything on it. You probably could do this for under 10k if you're prepared to source mostly second hand stuff.

But, make sure you keep the V5 from the donor as that is what will get you the age related plate. Without that, you would be looking a a Q plate.

Simon.

Hi Guys,

I am overwhelmed at the response !! It looks like I am going to go ahead, but still not sure in what form. I may just start with the basic kit and take things day by day ( or is that week by week )and see how I get on. I have been to GBS and Keith took me for a spin in the demonstrator and I was well impressed.

My main concern is with the engine. I am no stranger to a spanner, had engines out of cars, new shells, rings etc, cyl head off, new gaskets, replaced rocker shafts ( yes I am that old !! ) but not too sure what goes on with these "injector" things and ECU's. I dare say I will pick it up as I go along. Where would be a good place to start on modern engine management systems ?

Thanks again guys !!

Time has a double effect on budget as I found out ultimately to my benefit.

You will spend more with a longer build time but also be able to afford more as funds are available monthly, every extra month gets a bit more on the budget.

Guest tom-zero

thats the way im doing mine month by month every payday i order the next thing i need, it was the only way i can afford to do it and pay back my dad the loan for the main purchace of the kit, you can look and plan ahead what your going to need to order next so hopefully the build doesnt grind to a hault, as for ecu im going with the emerald and i think that is genrally what people do.

Fil,

If you want a new reg you have to remember your are only allowed 1 reconditioned part, most people choose the gearbox for this. You will need to keep all your receipts to prove you have bought all the parts as new and which one is the recon. Smaller parts like switches etc are less of a concern. So re your point about engine.

You will probably end up with a new Zetec engine. These are about £700 and come with all the injectors and stock throttle body fitted - you'll need alternator, stater replacement manifold etc etc and an ECU and wiring harness to make it all work.. The manifold you will probably throw away and you will need to shorten the sump (or you'll be leaving all you r engine oil on top of the first sped bump you come across). Again here you have options to reduce cost by having the stock sump modified - search on here - or spend more for a Raceline or similar.

As RichardL pointed out some Sierra parts are getting like rocking horse doo dah.

Have you considered the MX5 kit? MX5's are fairly easy to come by and being Mazda's will still be perfectly sound mechanically. I cant comment on whether trying to get all new bits for your new reg will fit in your budget tho'

The injectors and ECU stuff is I think rather more simple than timing the distributor and setting spark gaps, trimming carbs etc.

More along the lines of plug and pray (sorry - PLAY) :)

The ECU does all the engine management stuff sorting out the timing, advancing it etc and timing of fuel injector pulses depending on the inputs it gets from the sensors on the engine. (crank position, camshaft position, air temp, coolant temp etc)

With the case of the Zetec and emerald, it was just load up the right maps to the ECU and turn the key.

There are plenty of people who can help you on this club if you have any problems.

Simon.