I Think Ive Found The Problem

Guest Jay Paul

Guest Jay Paul

So after having the car for a while and it develped a rattle on the rollers it took me a while to get time to get my hands on it hense not been onhere for a while the joys of being a foster carer i guess

the reason for stripping was a the little nock that develpoed and b very little oil in filter anyway got the sump off and pump and had time to give it a good clean up and all looked ok until got it all really clean and there it was staring me in the face a nice mark on the inside of the sump where the pick up pipe has been and it looks like it has been flush to the bottom so prob why its been starved of oil

so a quick question has anyone shortened their pick up pipe and if so what method did you find best or is there a part i can buy

many thanks

Guest mark little

What sort of engine have you got? If it's a crossflow people sometimes put the 1300 sump on the 1600 engine because it was smaller but the longer throw on the 1600 meant the crank caught the side of the sump, I'm speaking from experience here, is this a possibility?

Cheers Mark

Guest 2b cruising

If it has a strainer, there should be three lugs on the bottom to maintain an even gap.

If no strainer, a couple of spot welds giving a good clearance should be good enough.

Or cut some groves in the pipe with the edge of a flat file.

Guest 2b cruising

Just shortening or moving the mounting hole in the holding bracket would achieve a good solution.

9 o'clock picture 2.

Edited by 2b cruising

The witness mark on the sump shows how nicely square the original shortening of the pick-up pipe was done. Pity it wasn't 5mm shorter and the problem would have been avoided. And yes it would cause low oil flow and low oil pressure. Although the easiest fix is to hammer a bulge in the sump to give 5mm gap all round the edge of the pick-up I would go for the slightly more involved pipe shortening by 5mm and rewelding. More resistant to a possible future speed bump knock on the sump.

I hope that the past oil starvation has not done significant damage to bearings or cam lobes.

Nigel

Guest Jay Paul

so pipe is being tweeked but decided to change the bottom shells while the sump was off as for the money they cost its a no brainer really so fingers crossed it be done and dusted by weekend ish................

Guest 2b cruising

If you are going that far it would be worth while doing the mains, not just the big ends.

Just lift the caps off and if marked they can be delicately changed without removing crankshaft.

If you would like to know how just let me know and I will go through it with you.

Straining the memory cells here but here goes.....

When I had a pinto fitted, I went over a big road hump & hit the sump.

Soon after it started knocking, sounded like the entire bottom end was falling out.

When I stripped it I found the sump had pressed flat on the pickup pipe, but it had also

pushed it slightly upwards.

The crank web was hitting on the pickup pipe tube,it left a small witness mark.

It may be worth checking as Ken says.

Guest mower man

As above ,symptons were flucuating oil pressure ,dropped the sump found the pickup gauze had been on the sump bottom but not 100% bent pipe up and foreward also drilled several 1 mm holes in top of pickup cured it! mick :crazy: also applied 2lb ballpein to sump !

Edited by mower man

Guest Jay Paul

so little update

going to do mains as well im lucky to have a engine builder down the road who does pintos in his sleep due to the massive road rally area we live in

so a set of mains and bottom shells sorted the only thing is with doing it in situe we will struggle to do the rear main as its got the dreaded seal and cork thingamyjigs there but 8 out of 9 bearings should be a big help and hopefully be on a winner

sump sorted along with pick up pipe so all the things going my way she be back on road next week

so 8 out of 9 bearings

new oil pump

pick up pipe sorted

new top adjust pulley

some nice new millers oil

and away we go

pics to follow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jay Paul

good day on the car today

all back together and got great oil pressure plus i found the rattle

No 4 was totalled