Pinto 2.0l Upgrades?

Guest joehale

Guest joehale

Hi....

Want to get more power out my 2.0L pinto. Has webber 40s on her at the moment.

Race cam? If so does this require mods?

What is easy and effective?

Thanks

Guest jasonmorris

What kind of budget do you have?

150bhp at the flywheel is fairly easy to achieve anything past that and it can get very expensive to the point where a zetec is more economically viable.

Jason

Guest joehale

Budget is not really an issue, as will do bits slowly over time. So a few hundred here and there is all good.

I was looking at a Viper fast road cam to kick off with?

I currently have 142BHP so hoping to knock that up a bit.

Cheers

Guest joehale

Fr32 cam gives 16bhp if set up correctly if you go to wild the car will become a pig at low speeds. My pinto pokes out 155bhp check out the garage for specs

Thats great, do you know what the * is? i have been looking at between a 270* and 300* cam. So fast road basic or fast road ultimate by Viper. What mods did you have to do if any to fit yours?

Thanks

Thats great, do you know what the * is? i have been looking at between a 270* and 300* cam. So fast road basic or fast road ultimate by Viper. What mods did you have to do if any to fit yours?

Thanks

*? also your claimed figure of bhp wheels or crank ? my 155 is including bike carbs and ignition mods and is about as far as it can go without serious engine work

My car still ticks over smooth and drives well in all conditions..

im hoping for 160 at the fly (not sure i'll get it)

piper 300 cam + vernier pulley

10.8:1 compression

fireblade carbs

4-1 manifold

and megajolt

my cam choice is probably a bit on the lairy side but will just have to see how it goes, might end up changing it if i dont like it.

when i fitted my cam i was advised to up my compression as much as i can otherwise i wont get the best from it. so factor this in when selecting a cam.

i had twin 40s on my old set-up then i changed to fireblade carbs as i was told the twin 40s can limit you to about 135bhp

as for how it drives i cant comment yet as its not taxed

Edited by steve_wilson

10.8 to 1 on cast pistons is pushing it, ring lands get iffy at over 10.5 to 1 and 7,500 rpm, rods suffer from 6800 to 7200 depending on which ones.

I have built using Cosworth rods, V6 pistons, big inlet head, ported, bike carbs, megajolt, tuned inlet manifold length and tuned manifold and exhaust.

Rolling road later this year.

Cam is RL31

Higher compression and Megajolt help the manners at low revs, a lot.

FR32 should fit straight in, just check valve springs installed height.

You will need a vernier cam pulley to dial in the cam

I would recomend a full cam kit as this comes with cam, followers, springs, ball posts, head gasket, cam seals, valve stem seals.

Would be worth fitting a Felpro gasket or skim the head to give 10 to 1 with the supplied gasket

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest joehale

Thanks for that info.

I am going to gas flow the head, open the taps on my webbers and install a FR32 with new gaskets, Springs and followers. This should all add up to a reasonable amount more power? Say 20 /25 BHP?

Thanks again!

The dyno sheet on my previous 2.1 which had a standard injection head 1mm gasket, FR32, bike carbs and megajolt gave 128bhp and 135 torque, I felt there was more available but it did go very well.

It's on my to be rebuilt list, just needs a clean up and some bearings.

Mine Dyno'd up at 155bhp @ 5500rpm. It did peak at 160bhp a few times, but Russ said it was not really there, but 155 was constantly available.

2l with inj head, felpro gasket, blade carbs on boggs manifold, fr32 and vernier, megajolt and 4 into 1 exhaust

:good: