Running In Check Over

Guest yellow peril

Guest yellow peril

after giving the engine an easy 500 mile run in period I am going to change the oil, but wondered what most folks were going with. The haynes manual says 10w/30 to 20w/50 is this the best thing. will normal 15/40 be more than adequate?

Also have noticed a bit of a leak around the head gasket :huh: being fully reconned with all new gaskets, skimmed head etc there can't be anything wrong anywhere can there, is it just a bit more of a turn on the head bolts ya think, does this sometimes occur during run in <_<

many thanks

peril

Guest chris brown

Is the oil leak really round the head to block joint or is it the rocker cover? If rocker then yes try just nipping the bolts down a little but if it is the head you can but only to a max of 115 Nm and in the correct sequence but it is unusual for the pinto to have head to block problems

good quality 15/40 will do fine

Guest yellow peril

cheers chris,

yes it is the head to block, thought it a little strange especially considering rebuid. The haynes manual was used for reference when tightening the head bolts, but I shall recheck the bolts up to the max limit.

15/40 it is

thanks

peril

Peril

yes it is the head to block,

I would be very careful about retightening the head.....you could snap the bolts!!

I would be very curious and surprised if the head to block join was leaking oil,

if it is ,and your sure ,personally I would take head off again and ensure that cylinder and head mating surfaces are absolutely spotless and fit a new head gasket.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

peril

it might not be bad news all the way - you say that you've just finished running in but you don't say if you re-torqued the head bolts after the engine was run up to operating temp for the very first time after the rebuild.

suggest you whip the head off, put back on with new gasket and bolts run it up to temp then while it's still hot take the cam cover off and re-torque the head bolts - they expand when the engine is hot!

once it's cooled you have to reset the tappets(cam followers) then refit the cam cover - thats what mr haynes says to do.

good luck steve :)