Loctite 518 - Or Similar

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

According to the Haynes manual, when refitting the rear main bearing cap, you are supposed to coat areas of the mating surfaces with Loctite 518 or similar.. For the life of me, I can't remember what I used :blink: when rebuilding my engine, other than it wasn't 518 :D

Please can someone advise as to what is/are sutable alternatives.

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

I've been trying to locate some loctite 518 in Plymouth but no one seems to stock it so I'm definitely looking for an alternative.

Can anyone help please? :mellow:

Phil Slater

Guest chris brown

There doesn’t seem to be a direct equivalent for 518 Phil. Just go to ASK.co.uk and put in "loctite 518 equivalent" and see how many other forums have covered the same question

Guest Phil Slater

Well............ thanks for the suggestions. I've done a bit of searching around the web and can't seem to find anyone in Britain who supplies Loctite 518 in a small quantityat a reasonable price. It's an "anerobic gasket maker" (Ipresume that means it takes steroids and is more muscular than inferior gaskets :D :p ) Apparently an alternative is Hylomar Gasket 2000 but I havn't as yet found anyone who sells that either :(

I'll keep looking.

Guest Quantox

Hi,

A Shell engineer from their engine/fuel/oil test labs down Chester direction recommended Truloc Supergasket 742 some years ago. I've used it very successfully since on many old British motorbikes with excellent results. Truloc has a site with a stockist listing, I think it's www.truloc.co.uk.

Usual disclaimer.

Q

Should have said the 742 costs about £15 for a 50ml tube but it goes a long way.

Q

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks for the various suggestions, still not located Loctite or Gasket 2000 locally! I've been talking to a couple of local engine builders though and they have recommended silicon gasket maker , in particular RTV high temp. One even suggested bath sealer :blink: ............. I think he was joking ;)

Phil Slater