Sump Removal

nelmo

Sump is two piece. Ally bit that bolts to the block is five bolts each side. None hidden although the rearmost 2 bolts are up a tunnel in the ally upper sump. Steel lower part has 16 bolts and moulded on gasket. All visible.

There may be up to 6 sump to bellhousing bolts. 6 if using raceline sump to type 9. Don't know about MT75.

Edited by Longboarder

Sorry, should have said, got the Tiger ERA sump so just one piece and only has 10 bolts into the block, 5 per. side.

Still can't get the damn thing off - its weird, i can now move it 10mm backwards and forwards but that's it. I can't see anything holding it back or front. I've had screwdrivers all the way in but you think you'd only need slight pressure for it to drop - I'm too worried about damaging something to put too much force into it.

It feels like there is something inside caught on it but it's an unbaffled sump so there is nothing to even really catch on. Pic here of the sump just before i fitted it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y1SWkAcL4naRmWUL6

Get a video it will be easier to see what's happening. If it doesn't have any baffles or windage plate it can't be caught on the pick up and if it isn't getting caught on the dirt shield for the gearbox it must just be stuck on with the sealant/gasket just pry it off don't be shy they can take quite a bit of force to dislodge sometimes

It does have a windage tray and someone on the Tiger owners forum has replied to say they got their's stuck on that tray as well - looks like I may have to give it some welly - urrgghhh! <_>

Well just for some humor. The fall back saying may apply?

"Force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

Can you get an inspection scope up into the pan to see what is the holdup?

• Like 1

Well just for some humor. The fall back saying may apply?

"Force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

Can you get an inspection scope up into the pan to see what is the holdup?

☺ I had thought of the endoscope thing but i assumed they were expensive - but just had a look and bought one for £7!! Will see if that helps at all...

They are ridiculously cheap but it maybe a issue of you get what you pay for. NO, I don't have one yet but is high on my priority list. You want to have one or access to 1 via a friend before you need it. Interested to hear what you see in there.

Better to look first and break in ignorance than just to break in anger. Patience has its virtues, said someone much wiser than me.

Looking again at the sump, you say sides are free but you can't get the front or back to move downwards. So I would guess that there is a compressive force, front to back holding it. Perhaps put a jack under the bellhousing to support some weight. Partially undo the ?6 'bellhousing to block' bolts. Slowly lower the jack a little. This should allow the lower part of the block to bellhousing joint to gape but shift compression to the upper part of that joint. That should release any compressive force holding the sump up (if there is one!). I know the sump on my ST170(posh zetec) has to be flush with the flywheel end of the block (bellhousing front face is the same plane) but I can't imagine what can be holding the front of the sump.

Turns out that the Tiger windage tray has microns of clearance between itself and the walls of the sump. As I've tried to pull the sump off, the side of the tray has dug into the wall of the sump. Invested in a cheap endoscope and you can see it happening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rX2Zj0vjRtD2hhqHKKbhGZm8QVkLMlFx/view?usp=drivesdk

That sideways movement is what happens with a lever between sump and block and try levering downwards - looks like the tray is spring loaded!

(Excuse the swearing in the video - I'm getting pretty hacked off)

Edited by nelmo