Sump Removal

nelmo

Interesting, the ATR sump windage tray is built in. Did you manage to get it off?

My son thought your cursing was hilarious!

No, still not off and am at a loss how to...I'm thinking of grinding it off and telling Tiger they owe me a new one for having such a stupid design!!

Glad you've found out what was happening. What was the endoqscope that you bought (I assume it was off eBay)?

Yeah, £7 cheapie, no brand name but works pretty well (but if you want to use it on your phone, needs to be Android and must support OTG. I had to use my son's Samsung as my Huawei doesn't do OTG).

Thats not swearing! Thats how I greet my car as I open the garage door :rofl:

I can't quite get my head around the orientation of how or where its catching but looks like a bit of wiggling in all angles might free it up? Or getting a screwdriver in to push the bits that are catching out the way?

Blimey. Who'd have thought. Like one of those chinese finger puzzles. The harder you pull the tighter it holds.

Does it have a windage tray held on the second and fourth main bearing extended bolts. If so then one way would be to drill four holes in the lower surface of the pan big enough to get a socket through to undo the four nuts. Should then be removable. Four 1" holes in the pan should be easily repairable by an ally welder so it wont write off the sump.

Thats not swearing! Thats how I greet my car as I open the garage door :rofl:

I can't quite get my head around the orientation of how or where its catching but looks like a bit of wiggling in all angles might free it up? Or getting a screwdriver in to push the bits that are catching out the way?

yes, that's tonight's attempts - go in through the oil breather plate and try get a screwdriver down the edge and pull it away.

Blimey. Who'd have thought. Like one of those chinese finger puzzles. The harder you pull the tighter it holds.

Does it have a windage tray held on the second and fourth main bearing extended bolts. If so then one way would be to drill four holes in the lower surface of the pan big enough to get a socket through to undo the four nuts. Should then be removable. Four 1" holes in the pan should be easily repairable by an ally welder so it wont write off the sump.

Hmmm, that's a possibility - thanks...

Success!! The damn thing is finally off but not before i had to drill a hole through the bottom so that i could get a screwdriver in and lever the tray away from the side of the sump. Dropped off almost immediately. ..

Thanks for all the suggestions...just need to find someone who can weld/fill the hole.

What does anyone think of the idea of just using a nut, bolt and rubber grommet to block the hole in the sump? Stupid?

Does anyone have opinions on those cold welding products?

They basically seem to be a glorified glue - is it suitable for a 10mm round hole in a sump which will contain very hot oil? Or is the bolt and washer a better seal in this case?

They're not really engineered solutions are they? Do you really want a bolt head protruding from the bottom of the sump, if it grounds out it'll probably get ripped out and destroy the sump. The sump is off anyway, just get it welded.

• Like 2

Use the hole as a position for another drain plug --- could the threaded patch be welded on the inside so the plug head is flush with the main pan?

Then next time ------------------- the hole is already there!!!!

They're not really engineered solutions are they? Do you really want a bolt head protruding from the bottom of the sump, if it grounds out it'll probably get ripped out and destroy the sump. The sump is off anyway, just get it welded.

Yes, true but I've always had problems trying to get small welding jobs done. Every company i try just aren't interested in small jobs (despite their adverts saying 'no job too small' !!!). I had to get poor Bob Tucker on here to do my VIN plate and my door frames for that reason.

I'll try find someone but i'm not hopeful...