Help, Engine Will Not Start

MarkBzero

i thought my compression figures were low at 145 psi

I suspect old gauge, car only had 52,000 mile on clock. Going back to basic this weekend whilst waiting for EDIS unit to arrive. Probably do leak test at some point.

Hoorah at last the engine is running, I had fuel and spark and thought spark was arriving at wrong point. Cam timing was out but once corrected engine still didn't start. Panicked about bent valves but compression result were low but all cylinders similar.

I then went back to basics and went through every wire, plug and connector and found the fault. I cannot understand how it happened because I did not touch the plug and my son did not touch it (the only other person alllowed in garage).

The Edis wires pin 10 and 12 were crossed in the loom therefore the coil pins 1 and 3 were receiving spark signal on the wrong stroke. Don't know how, really happy now, ordered some cable to match loom colours (the fun of donor parts) to re-wire edis and coil, then MOT and back on the road.

Smile was almost as big as IVA pass. You may start ridicule now.....