New To The Kit Car Scene

Guest C4rd0

My steering column was part of the donor pack from GBS, it was not new. As you say, I am not sure you could even buy a new one now for a Sierra!!

With regards to the IVA, things may well have tightened up in the 5.5 years since mine went through and I may have got some 'concessions' as it was presented by GBS and not by me. Only people who presented their own cars recently will have a better idea.

Zac has a good point re the MX5 donor route, you can get a lot of money back selling the unwanted parts. You may even get back what the donor cost you!! They are also far more plentiful than the old Sierra!! Added to that, there are also a lot of bolt on performance parts readily available for the mazda engine. The registration plate won't change the satisfaction of the build when it is complete or the smile it will put on your face when you drive it and it will still be a new car, exempt from MOT for 3 years.

I think the £14k to £16k for a new reg is about right although it could go up, the more you add things on. The SDV route (Single Donor Vehicle) could see you on the road for under £10K. It is a route I would have considered had it been available in 2010 when I first started building.

When you go to see GBS, the current demo car is Mazda based, so see how you like it.

Edited by David S

I did my IVA last month and I've used most parts from GBS but as someone else said, it's the DVLA who decide reg, not the DVSA (who handle the IVA test).

Be aware that, apart from the engine, nothing is 'new' - these are Ford Sierra hubs, diffs and driveshafts, for example - Ford stopped making them, what, 20 years ago? Even the 'new' crate engine I got was actually built in 2004 and has just sat in a warehouse since then (and I believe there are very few, if any, of those left).

I'm still waiting for my reg to come through but I'm assuming I'll get a new reg because I sent off invoices for all my recon parts (diff, gearbox, hubs etc). I could be wrong but I believe a professionally (ie. invoiced) refurbished part counts as 'new'.

If you use a single donor, you should get a reg for the same year as the V5 of the donor. If you buy everything off eBay and don't have a V5, then you get a Q plate, I believe.

A full spreadsheet of my costs (so far) is on my blog, if you're interested (link in my sig) - £16k at the moment. I reckon you could save £2k - £4k going down the donor route (depending on how much you re-use).

Guest C4rd0

Hummmm im really not aure whato to do i think im gonna jump in the car and head down next week as for the mazda if i build it i want a new or rebuild engine which agen bumps the cost so im not sure i cant wait to get stuck in tbh but im just new to all this and finding more and more problems ad i go but its not putting me off haha

I don't know if I was just lucky, but I got an age related plate, replaced it with a personalised plate, sent the paperwork off to the DVLA to take the plate back off again, but didn't get the age related back. I got a new plate for the year I built it ! Result. It was a few years ago though, so I expect them to be slightly more savvy now.

Guest lotusPaul

If you go down the Ford route then you can get almost all parts from the likes of Rally Design etc. The engine is easy to get new in the dreaded fleebay, even the gearbox can be sourced with new insides to bespoke ratios. But its gonna cost make no mistake.

If you go with the diy refurb route then i wonder if it makes financial sence alot of the time, you pays what you pays and you get what you get.

As you say your new to the game, id go the cheapest route and get as near complete car as you can for best price, then strip it down a bit at a time and refurb as you go. At least you'll learn as you go. If it all seems a bit over whelming dont worry, were all here to help.

Most of all enjoy it.

Best of luck

The test drive will seal a deal that is already made lol, the question comes down to how much ££££ do you want to put into it? Either route, new or used, will result in a lot of man hours, but those are free hours, its the cost of getting the parts and having a professional refurb on items for that new reg.

Honest question though - what is it that attracts you to the new reg? The reg number or the new engine?

For me when I started my build 4 years ago, the Zetec crate engine was about 700 quid. That didn't involve a gearbox or ECU. Got my MX5 for 750, ragged it around for 3 months then took it apart and broke even (including tax/insurance) whilst keeping all the bits I needed for the Zero. How much does the Ford donor pack and engine and ECU etc cost? No brainer for me tbh, espeically now seeing an old new zetec engine is £1070!! Can buy 4 MX5 engines for that and rebuild them! They're basically disposable but never break lol.

These are very very rough guides:

Crate engine £1000

ECU £700

Wiring looms £500-£600

Plenum chamber £300 or Throttle Bodies £1100

Ford Donor pack (Geabox, diff, hubs, drive shafts, steering column) £600

It all adds up.

As said, perhaps get the car on the road as cheap as you can, then let 'upgraditis' set in and change it all.

People here have done Crossflow to St170 or Pinto to Zetec and Zac has gone 4 pot Mazda to V6 mazda. Other have gone Zetec to S2000. There are so many options. I think the only one that 'might' not fit would be a V8, but I could be proved wrong there!!

Edited by David S

Guest C4rd0

In regards to the new plate its just thats its new i think and i know the parts are all new log term i really do want to put and s2k engine in and see the zetec havent had chance to get down to gbs as i know once im there ill order then and tr and my garage is in no way sorted for it yet and i dont wonna rush things and make mistakes. Ive ended up buying a zetec crate engine for £900 new so thats will be on its wasas the forst part for the kit car