Steering Column Touches Horn

Jez Morton

Hi,

I found that when I've fitted the Mountney steering wheel the end of the column touches the rear of the centre push horn. Has anyone else found this and how have you overcome this, would it be just a case of chopping a few mil off the column. For refernce the column protudes 6mm after the nut.

Cheers

Jez

Jez,

Mine was exactly the same. I just filed some off the end of the column to give sufficient clearance.

Trev ;)

How about putting a button on the dash as all Montneys have the same problem. A horn is not required for SVA, only MOT, so you could have 3 years without needing a horn :ph34r:

Guest peter2b2002

I beg to differ, during my sva the inspector asked where my horn push was as it needed to be tested, as i had the same steering wheel prob. i fitted a togle switch on the dash for the horn, he said it needed to be labled as such so i put a postit under it saying HORN and he was happy,

pete2b

Guest chris brown
Mine has the mountney fitted & uses the centre push, seems to work ok, I guess builder filed it down or similar....

Dan :)

It's strange Dan it only seems to happen on some, mine is well clear but I had to file out a couple of the slots in the back to get the steering lock to work at all so I suspect that Montneys tolerances are a bit on the ish side.

I beg to differ, during my sva the inspector asked where my horn push was as it needed to be tested,

pete2b

Pete, no worries for begging, I'm just saying what my tester told me that's all (test station in Manchester.

Si

Guest Petemate

lucky to have the Mountney boss sit that far on to the column - I had to work hard with a small 3-cornered file to get the boss far enough down to engage the lock tongue.

Pete

Guest old_timbo

I've just replaced my original Mountney boss that came from RH with a new one. Mountney have invested in new patterns so that the new bosses don't need the modifications they've required in the past. The slots for engagement with the steering lock now work, and the depth of the top section is deeper so that the horn push doesn't foul the end of the steering column. Exterior of the casting is also better quality so looks good too. Cost me £20+ VAT from Merlin Autosport