Fuel Filler

johnhetherington

In the Car Builder Solutions Catalogue they show an insert for the fuel filler for unleaded, so you cant put diesel in, they state this is an IVA requirement.

I have checked the IVA manual and cant find anywhere that it says that this is a requirement.

Be grateful I any one could help me on this.

Thanks

John

www.johnskitcar.com

Yes, think it might have been required for SVA to prevent a car fitted with a catalyst being filled with leaded fuel (when that used to be more widely available). Leaded pumps have a bigger filler than unleaded or diesel.

I didn't fit a reducer for my IVA and passed ok.

Edited by richyb66

No, my filler doesn't have a reducer fitted - nor a "safety chain" to attach cap to car.

It was the sort that won't come off with the key in it. (Ok, so you can lock the cap off the car and remove the key but that's not the point as IVA passed that with no problems.

But that was just my experience of IVA ... :)

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Spencer Griffiths

Make sure that you have a receipt that states the fuel filler cap is vented or evidence to prove that the tank is vented. Spent ages yesterday at the test trying to prove that my Zero cap made by Newton was vented. Not stated on GBS receipt and no model number that the examiner could cross reference with the newton site, it was looking like a silly thing that I could not prove until the other examiner walked past picked it up and blew through the cap whilst holding his had over the bottom, then said " looks vented to me" and walked off.

Guest Ian & Carole

Make sure that you have a receipt that states the fuel filler cap is vented or evidence to prove that the tank is vented. Spent ages yesterday at the test trying to prove that my Zero cap made by Newton was vented. Not stated on GBS receipt and no model number that the examiner could cross reference with the newton site, it was looking like a silly thing that I could not prove until the other examiner walked past picked it up and blew through the cap whilst holding his had over the bottom, then said " looks vented to me" and walked off.

Classic, bet your tester felt stupid.

Where's the requirement for a vented cap in the IVA manual. The only thing I can see is RS12 which says that the tank must be vented to release pressure build up,. this could be achieved with a vent pipe fitted to the top of the tank or the filler pipe.

Venting for the tank was certainly something my tester checked for at Derby, although my problem was too much venting :(

I had a leak around the seal at the top of the tank, one of my fail items, but easily solved by a replacement seal!

With hindsight I would recommend filling the tank before the morning of the test.

I had a vent pipe fitted to the top of the tank, but have standard ford roll over valve in line to stop fuel leaking in the event of a roll over.

This was fine for the examiner.

With hindsight I would recommend filling the tank before the morning of the test.

Wish I'd done this too - missed my first IVA due to a massive fuel leak on the morning of the test. NO REFUND from VOSA!!!