Broadband Useage

Mitch

Hi All,

Im thinking of changing from AOL to Pipex for my 'tinternet connection,

im on the basic 512kb B/band service from AOL, and was thinking of going to Pipex

Pipex have an offer at the mo, for £15 (free for 3 months as i have the modem) i can have 2mb service, but theres a limit of 1gb of downloads, extra 3gb is £2.70.

so my question is, how do i calculate what i use normally?, and how hard is it to swop over?.

Anyone recommend Pipex, Chris?

im usally on for a couple of hours a day, dont download films or music, just general browsing and e,mailing.

Cheers

Mitch

oh, and anyone on aol, ring a say you're leaving due to there prices, and it suddenly gets cheaper and upgraded?, but you sign up for another 12 months

(not taken offer up yet, waiting for your advice)

I am with pipex - not the cheapest but never had a problem. I have looked at various surveys and they come out pretty well.

This site is pretty useful too adslguide. Here's a comparison I did between 5 providers inc AOL and pipex Comp

I have also used this little utility NetMeter which tots up your usage. There are plenty of providers who also give an idea of your monthly usage from some simple questions about your surfing habits.

Have a look at uswitchalso to get some comparisons and available deals.

Found this too from a provider:

What can I do with a 2Gb Limit?

Surfing the internet 4 hrs a day

Sending JPEG pictures via email (e.g. photos) 60 JPEGs a week

Receiving JPEG pictures via email (e.g. photos) 60 JPEGs a week

Downloading music 10 tracks a week

Downloading video clips 10 x 2 min clips a week

Listening to online radio 4 hours a week

Sending emails (no attachments) 200 emails a week

Receiving emails (no attachments) 200 emails a week

Guest RichardO

I/We've been with Pipex for a 2 or 3 years now and I cannot complain about the service. I think we have only had 1 problem in that time and that was when a bus/lorry hit a telegraph pole.

I'll agree that they are not the cheapest (and we have the 2 meg service) but if nothing goes wrong then there is nothing to complain about.

Rich...

Guest salty_monk

Tiscali do an unlimited service for £15.. says it's one mb but if you test it at adsl guide it's a 2mb.

Dad uses it, don't think he's had any problems...

Pipex are one of the old school ISP's from the days of modems & paying them £15 just for service with the phone charges on top.... only 10 years ago or less...! :)

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I use Metronet for BB.

No limit on download / upload with stepped charges depending on useage but capped at a maximum cost.

I normally pay around £13 per month.

Tiscali do an unlimited service for £15.. says it's one mb but if you test it at adsl guide it's a 2mb.

I', with this, and it's 1mbit, but it's not. It's pretty slow, although there are no off peak usage limits. Can't complain really at the price.

Ive just changed from NTL to BT braodband (cause my gaffer pays the bill now)

To be fair loads of people give NTL a hard time but at the en of the day my PC is connected and I can get to as much ######## as I want. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I', with this, and it's 1mbit, but it's not. It's pretty slow, although there are no off peak usage limits. Can't complain really at the price.

1mb should not be slow.Give Tiscali a call and they will check it out for you,it seems sometimes, when you upgrade ,they need to reset the connection or something from thier end.I questioned the speed I was getting with them,a few minutes on the phone and they sorted it

regards chris

i was careful when i started looking at bandwidth quotas, im currently on a 515Kb line with Tiscali £15.99 i think, but still waiting for a free 1Mb upgrade which is over 4 weeks late.

I currently have a unlimted bandwidth package with Tiscali , and i often download over 500Mb a day .

taki

Guest salty_monk

Tak,

You must wear thick glasses & have a huge right forearm... :p

Don't they say 90% of internet usage is grot... :D

Most people wouldn't get anywhere near that amount I suspect, listening to radio or playing games uses more than you'd think but a bit of surfing & email 1gb should be enough for a month...

I have BT business 2mb at work and tiscali 1mb at home the bt is quicker but we are across the road from the exchange and get 2.94mb quite oftern but the tiscali is good at home but can sometimes go slow but a quick re connect and its fine but for the price you cant go wrong!

I've already used about 100Mb this morning, but i spend quite lot of time on the old intrawebo..

! I must get around to building my new website and putting all my video clips on there, ,