Do I Need A Cat For Iva?

danielbrookes

Hi guys, Ive purchased an exhaust from GBS and I stupidly didnt check to see if it has a CAT. Now I realise it doesnt...

So, 2004 crate Zetec engine and car will be registered on new plate - do I require a CAT to pass the IVA?

I strongly suspect I do but would like to confirm.

Thanks,

Dan

There might be some value in thinking about whether you want a combined silencer and cat anyway, or whether it would be more practical to have a separate cat closer to the engine anyway, and one that is hence replaceable without the other (and vice versa). You can pick up 200 cell cats for £100. And, not that I'm advising this or suggesting it makes any difference, but a separate cat can sometimes "fall off".... <cough>

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully final question on this one...the diameter of the manifold and the CAT's I have been looking at are both 2", I was thinking of using a sleeve to connect the two with a decent exhaust clamp each end, then finally another clamp connecting CAT to silencer. The clamps I have been looking at are the strap type so look pretty inconspicuous (

Manifold > (Clamp) > Sleeve > (Clamp) > CAT > (Clamp) > Silencer

I think it will look OK and allows me to remove the CAT in the future if needed. Assuming I have the space, are there any reasons why this wont be acceptable for IVA or generally is a bad idea?

It's what I did. I used quality Mikalor clamps, I would suggest the same, their profile is relatively low. For IVA you will need to position the clamp bolt to the back, between the pipe and the bodywork, so that it can't be impacted by the test sphere (or you can wrap it with exhaust wrap to protect the sharp edges if you wish - but for me this wasn't necessary).

edit: https://www.304stainlessexhaustparts.com- they are very helpful, sensible prices, good quality steel and they are happy to make up a sleeve to any drawing you provide... can swage in the ends/slits too.

Edited by brumster
  • Like 1