Fuel Economy- Losing Fuel?

Guest ALEX85

Guest ALEX85

Hi Guys,

A newbie here- always wanted one of these but didn’t have the space to build one so I finally bought one last month but having a few issues already.

The fuel gage doesn’t work and is stuck on full- something I’m planning on fixing this weekend (assuming it’s not too difficult). But more concerning is the apparent fuel consumption- a full tank (about 30 litres I think) lasted about 60-70 miles (most of those miles were cruzing in a lowish gear on A roads). It doesn’t appear to be losing fuel when stationary and ticking over. Is this fuel consumption correct? Because unless my numbers are wrong that’s about 10mpg! It’s got a 2.1 pinto with Weber 38dges carbs.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Guest david_l_perry

My 2b has a similar tank capacity. Mine is a 2.1l pinto on bike carbs. Typically I get 125-150 miles on a tank. My fuel guage didn't work when I got it, but it does now and is pretty accurate as well. My tank also originally leaked until I sorted out all the connections and sender mounting plate, but the leaks where obvious when filling up and also obvious from the stench in the garage - understatement of the year.

Guest Gargoil

I would say 10 mpg is too thirsty. As has been mentioned, a tune up is a good place to start. Unless of course, you are getting the type of performance that level of consumption warrants. In that case it's a toughy, slower and more economical of fast and expensive?

Guest Bazwaz

Are you sure you're getting a full tank? If the filler pipe is too far into the tank, (common problem in the past) you'll never get 30 litres in. Just a thought. Welcome to the club .

Baz

Guest mower man

Simi;lar to above posts looning 15/16 or less , normal 25 /28 , but on three trips to stoneleigh 30 /32 2.1 ,38 dgas 144 and a bit bhp . its 90 miles to the show ground from my drive [on satnav and my speedo trip ] std 6 and a bit tank 1/2 atank each way in 3 different stages of tune ,the dgas can be areal pain but patience and finally a good rolling road man paid off mowerman ps was the tank actualy full or did you stop filling because it was spitting back these tanks are not wll breathered :search:

Guest ALEX85

Thanks for the feedback guys- think I'll go down the tune up option and get it looked at by a pro. Hard to say if I'm getting a performance to warrant the fuel consumption Gargoil, as I haven't driven one of these before. It does seem quick but I expected quicker- I guess we'll see when it's been looked at. I can also definitely smell the petrol in the exhaust fumes, which would suggest it's running very rich? AS Bazwaz mentions, and after looking at fuel receipts I'm probably getting nearer 27 litres in the tank.

Will post back what the findings are.

Cheers

Start your tune up at home by checking cam timing, ignition timing, plug condition and general engine condition. An internet search will show how to set fuel levels within the float chambers of the carb. Then check consumption again. No need to pay a man to do those things. Then when it's checked as far as you can go a trip for carb jetting will be cheaper and the result better.

Nigel

Guest mower man

38dgas is your problem, weber dcoes or bike carbs would do better than that, my 45 dcoes on 2.0l zetec return 25mpg driven hard

Yes Dan but it is also a much more modern engine with electronic timing control ,this is n't a knock but I have seen pinto's with all sorts of carbs on suffer with poor fuel economy not just on dgas ,ok biased may be but set up properly a dgas is good if it isn.t well you get poor results if you 45's were not correct you would have sim probs mowerman :crazy:

The poor old DGAS does get some undeserved bad press.

They are now all at least 40 years old.....

& they were not setup for a 2.0 Pinto.

Many of the ones I have bought & seen are completely knackered.

eventually I bought a new one from Eurocarbs, & had it set up on a RR.

I got 25 mpg touring, & 12mpg on track, & amazing response.

But they do need setting up properly, same as any non-original fitment carb.

Once they are, IMHO they are the best all round single carb for a pinto.

The DGV is more economical, & twin DCOEs give more outright power at the cost of higher fuel

consumption & they stink the garage out.

They are all compromises.

Have you checked how far the fuel take off pipe goes into the tank? When I checked mine it was about 50 mm off the tank base so I was not getting roughly 20% of the available fuel. Does need to be off the bottom to stop picking up crap!

Guest ALEX85

Thanks for the advice guys- might give the setup a look myself this week and see how I get on. Think I've managed to get the fuel gauge working now- looks like whoever had fitted the fuel sender had got the wires the wrong way round. swapped the connectors around and now seems to indicate correct fuel amount.

Cheers

Alex