Sierra Quick Rack Issues

Guest bigC

Has anybody used the Motorsport-Tools heavy duty 2.7 turn sierra rack? https://www.motorsport-tools.com/ford-sierra-steering-high-ratio-quick-rack-heavy-duty-rack-pinnion-kit-2-7-turns.html

I've stripped down the rack (a filed out 1" black iron barrel nipple makes a great tool for this), both slipper and pinion removed and the new rack is just too wide to fit the casing.

Is this rack (pictured) definitely the Sierra rack or have I got things horribly wrong?

IMG_2154.jpg

Mines a quick rack from Rally Design. Very similar. Rack sticks out of it's housing by about two inches each side.

By wide I mean 'Girthy' (by diameter) so it won't slide down the tube in the case. Longboarder, Did your rack have the change in diameter half way up, or was at one diameter all the way up, like the original rack?

Sorry. It was 2008 and I barely remember it. I have dug up an old pic below. I remember I had to use my old rack housing and just change the rack and pinion. Pic shows old and new innards and the housing. The pic reminds me the gear angles were opposite. I don't remember or see a step change in the diameter of the rack at any point either in the old one or the new. My copy of that pic is clearer at 1.5Mb but it's 'shrunk' to post on Rhocar. I'm pretty sure I just modified an old socket to undo the pressure slipper, pulled out the pinion then the old rack and the new rack just pushed straight in. I don't remember a struggle or problem. Hope that helps.

Nigel

post-21-0-25952800-1519314681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

That help a lot, thanks! I think the innards I've been sent must be for the power rack, not manual. I'm waiting for a response from the manufacturer but i expect a return is in order. Again, thanks for the pic.