Facet Fuel Pump For Pinto 2.0L

Guest Craney43

Guest Craney43

Hi guys. Took my 2b+ for a little drive the other day whilst the sun was out and the fuel pump stopped working a couple of times. Give it a little tap and it worked again. I am not even going to try and fix it so will be buying a new pump. Was just wondering which facet fuel pump would be suitable to my car?.

It's a 2.0l Pinto with twin 45 webbers and a Kent cam. There is no regulator on my car so will be just running the pump. I could take the old one off and look for details on it but didn't want to get covered in petrol twice :)

I was thinking about the Facet FAC476087. This is the same kind of shape as the one fitted but unsure of the pressure required.

Thanks guys.

You could fit one of those, but the square Facet will do just as well for 1/2 the price.

Make sure you fit a decent filter, not one of the bullet type as they clog up too easily.

You need about 3psi, & 30 gallons per hour should be enough !

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1696

As bob said enough flow there but you certainly don't want any more than 3psi or you will have problems with leaks from the carbs. I fitted a pressure regulator and it cured my leaking problems. If you do decide to fit one, install it as close to the carbs as you can to get the correct pressure. I was a bit tucked up for space so I fitted mine away from the carbs but temporarily installed a pressure gauge next to the carbs for set up only.

I often wonder if I should carry a spare pump as they are not that expensive and there seem to be a few problems with them.

Guest Craney43

As bob said enough flow there but you certainly don't want any more than 3psi or you will have problems with leaks from the carbs. I fitted a pressure regulator and it cured my leaking problems. If you do decide to fit one, install it as close to the carbs as you can to get the correct pressure. I was a bit tucked up for space so I fitted mine away from the carbs but temporarily installed a pressure gauge next to the carbs for set up only.

I often wonder if I should carry a spare pump as they are not that expensive and there seem to be a few problems with them.

Thanks, my pump is right at the back of the car within 200mm of the tank. Edited by Craney43

I have seen 45's flooded by a basic facet and gutless with a pressure regulator set too low. They are sensitive to fuel pressure. I would still advise using a pressure regulator fitted close to the carbs. I still carry spare high and low pressure pumps having had both fail on me a total of four times. Carrying a spare low pressure fuel filter is also a good thing, plus changing them every year at least. Incredible how filthy the fuel is in some petrol stations.

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

Look at the fuel pump on a lotus excel. 45 delortos. I think it was mounted in rear and had a pre and post filter. No fuel leaks and plenty of flow. I cant remember what it is tho.

Guest Craney43

Thanks guys. I have just been out and whipped off the fuel pump. It's a Facet 476459. It did work a treat up until now. Maybe I will just replace it like for like? But then saying that it's rated at 6psi? Could it have been modified to put out less pressure?

Edited by Craney43