Registration Plates

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Hi, just got my plates made up, standard UK size from Halfords. My issue is that the front plate looks horrible, it's too wide for the Zero nose.

What are the legal size requirements?

Can I get a tiny front plate?

Or are stick on plates legal, something over the top of the nose?

Thanks!

I agree with the plate in the foot well. I have a small stick on number plate on mine and haven't been stopped. I'd argue the fact that my proper one has been knocked off and putting the little one there is so that the car can still be checked as the number is visible. IMO it's better to have something there that's legible than nothing at all. But it all depends on the copper having a bad day or not.

I did about 1000miles without a front plate and now a further 2000 roughly with a small plate on the top. Only been pulled over once and that was for flying out of a dual carriageway layby and matching the speed of the unmarked car coming passed, nothing about plate legality or not displaying a tax disc, just a friendly chat about the car and a word of advice about how I come out of laybys haha. To be fair he appreciated the car so probably got lucky with that one....

Guest mower man

I,ve run a cheater plate for 10+years never been pulled , if you do get pulled for any thing else you may have the illegal plate charge added to what ever else you have done, it a six and to threes do you or dont you ? :acute: :crazy:

do the EU plates have smaller lettters? The ones with the blue section on the one side. Just wondering if you could cut off the blue section and trim the other parts a bit. The numbers should be the correct size then you'd just have a smaller plate. although not sure of the difference in size (if any in the letters). worth a look perhaps if you have a europlate or someone with one.

Hi Aidan

Had the same problem as you. I spent quite a bit of time checking out etc. apparently if you deliberately display an illegal plate (undersized or stick on) them you are automatically liable for 3 points and a fine :cray: .

If you display no plate and argue it fell off ( potholes, speed bumps) and have the evidence I.e number plate under the seat... :db: Then you'll most likely get a slap on the wrist and told to fix it...

It's up to you, however my plate fell off 2 years ago and seems to fall off each time I drive (must be the potholes) and has never got a 2nd look.. :acute:

Edited by tazzzzman1

Guest Gargoil

Just a thought, because a large plate is pretty ugly. How about going down the private number plate road. Buy one with as few letters and numbers as you can afford. No worry about being pulled for it and a smaller plate? Unless the backing board has to be a standard size. In that case just disregard.......

Guest Ian & Carole

I think it is the size of the blank plate not what is on it sadly, however a certain kit car company run all their demo. road registered cars without front plates at all.

no front no plate should be allowed on certain vehicles not being picky but when I rode a motorbike it never displayed a front plate only a rear one the only reason I think you would need a front plate for is so the camera vans can see it imo lol

Edited by biksz

Guest aidankinnell

Thanks for all the thoughts & opinions

In the view of attempting to stay legal, I will stick with the ugly plate however looking at the link provided by CMA I should, be able to trim it down slightly, 11mm boarder around the letters. That should remove the excess material that overhangs the side of the nose.

If it still looks wrong then my plate will fall off......