2017 Club Membership
Come and join RHOCaR to receive all the benefits the club has to offer; Insurance discounts, supplier discounts, buy & sell online, full access to the club forum, fantastic club magazine, refreshments and hog roast at Stoneleigh show, monthly area meetings, club support at shows and member-organised events and of course the End of Season Bash are just a selection of what the club has to offer.

Details of how to join / renew:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=45001

Photo
- - - - -

Broken Tap Removers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jez Morton

Jez Morton

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 942 posts
  • Car type:2B PLUS 2.0efi

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi all, in particular the engineers amongst you. Has anyone had any experience using broken tap extractors, I'm looking at using a Walton tap removal tool to try and shift a broken tap. Are they any good?
One thing that isn't clear is the sizes, are they for thread sizes or a diameter.
http://www.waltontoo...machsc-hand.htm

#2 peter2b2002

peter2b2002

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 3,884 posts
  • Car type:2B 2ltr efi wishbone on the road april2004

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

never seen these before look ok to me , I've used heat and wd40 and thin nose plyers
peter-2b

#3 martin.p.thompson

martin.p.thompson

Builder

• RHOCaR 17
  • 18 posts
  • Car type:super spec

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Hi Jez have used these many times as a mc tool fitter,ok if tap isn't jammed in a blind hole.
If the tap is jammed the legs can break off and get stuck in flutes. A.T.B .Martin

#4 Mrbarry

Mrbarry

Builder

• RHOCaR 17
  • 47 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

I've used them and other designs. All hit and miss. Not having any at all always results in miss tho, sooooo......

#5 agent_zed

agent_zed

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 2,630 posts
  • Car type:2B with double wishbones

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

not an engineer myself but when i broke a stud off in the head of my pinto i took it to the local engineers and the first thing they asked was if i had heated it! Said it makes the job a load harder to remove. I assume the metal gets harder and more difficult to drill.

I know a tap is hardened anyway so perhaps it doesn't matter but be careful if you try heating it, might be worth checking it won't make the problem worse.

For the size .... number 8 on their webpage says

"Threads per inch need not be specified, as Tap Extractors will fit both NC and NF taps."

so i assume '6mm' etc must be tap size.

#6 Jez Morton

Jez Morton

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

A bit more detail, the tap broke in one of the rear hub bolt holes. One the end of the tap is flush with one end of the hole and the broken end flush with the other. The tap that is left in the hole is in two parts each of which has a little play, so individually they aren't stuck but are hanging up on each other. Hopefully the tap remover will move both parts together so they dont fight each other. I'm guessing the tap broke in the hole then trying to back it out I snapped the end off.

#7 DanE

DanE

Electrickery master

• RHOCaR 17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,229 posts
  • Car type:ssc

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

If all else fails take the arm off and find an engineers shop who can spark erode it out.

Ssc stylus with a supercharged zetec 242bhp and 253ft lb of wheel spin..

#8 Jez Morton

Jez Morton

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

Spark erode is plan B or C, not sure what sort of price to expect though.

#9 Dave R

Dave R

Wheely good builder!

• 2,262 posts
  • Car type:2b passed sva may 05.pillars removed june 10. duratec power june 2012

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

i have plans somewhere for a build your own spark erroder.... one of the jobs i havent got round to yet

#10 Dave R

Dave R

Wheely good builder!

• 2,262 posts
  • Car type:2b passed sva may 05.pillars removed june 10. duratec power june 2012

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

http://mikesworkshop...-apparatus.html

http://mikesworkshop...ratus-mk-3.html

#11 Jez Morton

Jez Morton

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
Its good news the tap extractor did the job, had to work it back a forward to keep the bits of tap aligned but after a few turns in the right direction it whizzed out. Quite impressive as the tap in the hole was actually in 4 pieces, I wouldn't have fancied putting a lot of load on the tool as the legs can twist but it got it done.

A happy Jez