New Lightweight Owner

Guest DoLittle52

Guest ScotMac

Yes, Doug, you are correct. The lightweight is a monocoque, and thus comes as a bunch of flat aluminum panels, some of which are pre-bent. It is very good that you got extra insurance. One of my main body side panels came w/ some extra-curricular bends in it, courtesy of the shipping company.

I'ts also good that you have discussed what you are to receive w/ Jim...hope he keeps to his word.

There are enough of us that have been thru it now (now 4 in the US alone, that i know of), that you should be in good shape in terms of finding answers to problems.

Good luck,

Scot :D

Edited by ScotMac

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Oh, as Graham said, i would look over some of my strengthening posts, and get atleast an idea the areas you need to strengthen, if not also some ideas into how to do the strengthening itself.

And as Chuck said, use some form of adhesive. I am using a Lord/Fusor automotive adhesive that is quite strong (made for putting on body panels). If you are interested in it, let me know, and i'll give you the specifications. Or you can search my posts for "Lord".

Here i found a post on it:

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?s=&a...st&p=114345

And i have been buying mine from here:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchan...;Category_Code=

Scot :D

Edited by ScotMac

Thanks for the replys guys. Just have to wait now to see what shows up from Fed Ex in about ten days. When buying the kit we went over the items listed in the kit package on both the Coveland and RH site. I logged all of these correspondances as this would be an intra state fraud issue if not sold as advertised. I like to think the best. Of course we live in a time bubble here in Kanab. Thanks for the support..will update as we continue the journey.

Doug

Guest DoLittle52

CDD, once you have the kit you will have two conditions to deal with rust and general greasy crud.

The rust can be easily removed by putting the rusty part into a solution of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and applying DC current.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Misc...ust_Removal.htm

The greasy crud can be removed with the cheap brand of oven cleaner and water. Just got finished cleaning the rear end Coveland sent me. And I am using oven cleaner (lye) to clean the greasy crud off an engine.

Guest DoLittle52
chuck

run this miracle rust removal system by me .

not aware of it . details please

regards graham

Graham, I used an old plastic ice chest as a container. I put connected strips of steel inside the outer perimeter and connected a manual battery charger. Then I added water and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. I put the rusted part, a brake backing plate, into the solution, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, and connected the batter charger. Once the charger is turned on an electrolysis process starts and over a period of time the rust will move from the part to the strips of metal.

Sure beats the hell out of other methods of rust removal.

Checked on delivery of the car-in-a-crate on freight quote and it appears it may be in Phoenix heading north to Kanab,Ut. They say delivery on the 21st. In preping for this you guys have mentioned strengthening the monocoque. I will look at the chassis forums but if you can tell me exactly where these tips are I'd appreciate it. When the kit gets here I want to inventory the parts to see if I got a complete kit. I'm assuming the list of parts on the Coveland and Robin Hood sites under Lightweight is what I should expect. Have you guys realized any descreptencies or was evrything pretty much their. Chuck.. that rust thing is interesting; I had my first Triumphs in NY state. Living in Kanab,Ut makes you forget about stuff like that. I still have my 75 Dodge van with very little evidence of rust for its age. Am I gonna end up with a thousand posts to get this kit together!!!? :mellow:

Guest Ad_W2001

hammerite (i think) make a product called KuRust or somethin very similar, comes in a little white bottle which u apply to rusted areas with a small brush. Looks like milk and when its done its job goes a blueish black colour. It basically reverses the oxidisation process and converts rusts parts (if they are not completely rotten) back to good metal! we use loads at work on the bentleys we restore, and ive seen it for sale in halfords - maybe an opportunity to use the new discount card :)

link to motorworld

KuRust @ Motorworld

Guest Ad_W2001

hammerite (i think) make a product called KuRust or somethin very similar, comes in a little white bottle which u apply to rusted areas with a small brush. Looks like milk and when its done its job goes a blueish black colour. It basically reverses the oxidisation process and converts rusts parts (if they are not completely rotten) back to good metal! we use loads at work on the bentleys we restore, and ive seen it for sale in halfords - maybe an opportunity to use the new discount card :)

link to motorworld

KuRust @ Motorworld

cheers chuck i will try that.

cdd prob 2000 all the best with the build be as all hoodies make mend and addapt

if you go to big lees web sit he is kindly hosting all the photographs of my build for the first lightweight

regards graham

Chuck,Scott,Graham: LW kit arrived Kanab Ut April; 17. Crate,(if you want to call it that) was mashed on one end missing the two upright corners and the so called body jig board was chewed up and I didn't realize that is what it was so it went to the dump. One of the main side panels, and various unidentified other aluminum pieces are bent. Unbelievably the fiberglass survived with the front cowling showing stress cracks in one fold. The Bonnet also survived!Parts identification (HA!).

First Utah is going to require a manufacturers statement of origin. There isn't a piece of documentation of any kind; no serial numbers, nothing. This is gonna be fun. Briefly looked at video one. A printed manual would have been soooo much easier.

Aluminum parts-about 58-59 including the bonnet. Any one else have a count? Wishbone pack-Missing one ball joint;have even number of wishbones and such but only one smaller triangular shaped c bracket(engine mount??). No muffler cover Yep this looks like a kit that was cannabalized.

No wonder Robin Hood went into administration if this is how their dealers worked and they packaged their kits. Next.. a lengthly letter to Coveland about missing parts and to Grassroots Motorsports and SCCA if totally negative response!