Dutton In Trouble!

peter_m7uk

I noticed this on the BBC website front page.

First time I've heard any concerns over those amphibious vehicles. Having said that, if Dutton's quality

control is anything like certain manufacturers, I'd probably rather go in the Titanic!

Pete :o

I'm not surprised at that.

I've seen several so called amphibious cars skylarking on the Thames, their side walls were only a few inches above waterline. Any choppy water and they are done for.

I doubt if any of them have bilgepumping either.

I do not know if any were Duttons.

We have all seen precarious amphicars on water looking like they will sink at any moment. This is 'normal' for amphicars and people who buy them accept this risk. They are all unstable dangerous things.

Tim Dutton-Wooley has supplied an amphicar that has been refused a Windermere boating licence for carrying fare paying passengers. If he had thought about the contract a little more he would have realised the chances of Health and Safety/Boating licence etc being granted was nil. It would need lifejackets, flares, signalling equipment, stability testing, self righting properties, automatic inflating life-rafts, etc to gain certification. He appears to have supplied an amphicar which drives on the road and on the lake and has not yet sunk or drowned anyone but has failed to gain certification.

Trading Standards are doing him for supplying goods not fit for purpose. And he is facing jail for this? No one has been injured or killed. The remedy for the buyer is easy at full financial restitution. Why is he facing jail? Will Trading standards pursue Tesco or GM or Ford with the same vigour if they supply goods which cause actual harm. A pie that gives your kids the runs, a car where the brakes fail and you crash. You pick up your car after having a new set of alloys fitted and one tyre is not seated properly, deflates. Back to the garage, money back and the garage owner off to jail?

What is the country coming to?

Nigel

I totally agree with you Nigel ,

What indeed is this County coming to ?

When people see the need to blame someone for there own inadequacy is well beyond belief these days ,

If you do wrong at least have the courage to hold your hand up and admit it , not try to pass the buck and blame somone else , or is it only the Government minions who are the bright ones and we voters all dim and need that lot to guide us through life by the hand if that is really the case God help us all Amen .

Mike

Guest mark kingston

yes it is the same tim dutton behind the range of dutton kit cars from years gone by.

His sinking car outfit is based in an industrial unit in the Littlehampton marina complex and i have seen verious different versions of his floating cars being tested over the years as he tests them by driving down the slip way and in to the river which is just up the road from my factory and i pass by it regularly.

I think that maybe prison is a bit harsh and that maybe he has just upset the wrong person who it appears has some cloat.

i think if he ends up going down then the country has finally done barmy as people who have killed people in motor accidents have got off with a lot less????

Tim Dutton has been in the kit car business for as long as i can remember , he started 39 years ago making motor cars 1969 - 2008 plus 13 years of making amphibs 1995 - 2008 , so one can deduce from this that he knows what he is doing and most probably enjoys it to , so it sounds like someone is just trying to make a fast buck at his expence and has managed to get the do gooders on side ,

It will be a sad day indeed if he looses his case and gets sent down , as all kit car makers could be on someones hit list next if a wheel falls off etc etc .

He even has his own pier to tie the Anphibs up to http://www.timdutton.com/

Mike

Guest mark kingston

lets not forget this is the man that took on fords in the courts over the rights to the Seirra brand and won and Fords ended up having to pay a small fortune to him for using the seirra name.

Guest Jabberwocky

I think it would all depend on what the contract said, if it said, provide us with an amphibious vehicle then he has done as they requested.

If the contract said provide us with an amphibious vehicle that will be given a certificate to carry paying passengers then no he has not for filled on the contract

Guest timswait
I think it would all depend on what the contract said, if it said, provide us with an amphibious vehicle then he has done as they requested.

If the contract said provide us with an amphibious vehicle that will be given a certificate to carry paying passengers then no he has not for filled on the contract

I agree. If Dutton didn't provide a product to the agreed spec then it's for the customer to demand a refund or compensation and to take to court to get the money if necessary, I don't understand why there's a threat of prison.

Guest outtolunch

If you do a search and read the local reports on this case there is a lot more to it and Dutton has already been ordered in a previous case to repay the cost of the car and the company has been declared bankrupt ( the eighth time it has been bankrupt ). There was a lot of dispute over capacity of the vechile the buyer wanting 8 seats and Dutton claiming it could only cary 6 and would have to be longer but the buyer refusing because it would not fit in his shed.

The testing in which it was declared dangerous was done with a capacity of 8 firemen making up the passengers, a group of men not know for being lightweights.

This looks like a classic dispute between buyer and supplier where not enough was specified in writing from both sides and the buyer having been thwarted in his idea has complained to as many agencies as possible and to get trading standards involved and the threat of large fines and imprisonment seems over the top and one sided when responsibitity for safe use should have been a joint responsibility between both of them.

Mind you Dutton charged me extra to have my B+ made in black ( the first one in that colour ) and then made it a standard colour when it turned out looking good so sod him :D

Guest allenr03

I'm a retail manager and trading standards could press charges against me persoanlly if I my store comitted breaches of trading standards regulation. Things like selling age related games to minors, or serious pricing issues, or selling per-owned goods as new could end up with me facing VERY hefty fines that the company aren't allowed to pay or a prison sentance if I can't pay them. Needless to say I have very good processes in place to prevent this happening and training that is signed off in blood protect myself!