Noises From Gear Box Area

Guest subaru

Guest subaru

HI Guys,

I am trying to diagnose what started as a vibration under throttle. I could only discribe it as the speed of a very very rapide misfire with a metallic sound only under load noticable 2-5 thousand. The vibration was increased through the car on throttle, so that to me has ruled out steering, flat spot on tyres and I guess engine. There has always being a harsh sounding noise from the box at 2000 rpm especially 4th and 5th gear. yesterday after a harder blat the noises intensified with some worrying clanking noises in neutral going along.So far gear selection ok but jolting in 1st to second, may be due to engine though. No clutch slip at the moment. should i be looking at Gearbox, clutch or diff. i thought the noise get worse with driving so i am wondering about Gearbox oil level. Any ideas please.

Thanks chris

Guest subaru

Hello Chris, my first thoughts would be to check the propshaft joints carefully as it's a 2B I wouldn't think you will have the rubber doughnut just 2 UJs, but if they have not been lubricated they could be on their way out.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply. I think its certainly aft of the Gearbox as it is happening in neutral as well as power. Seems to have increased shunt in the drive train to. A mechanic who drove the car said it is very twitchy at the rear end as well, he thought there might have been some minor problems in the suspension. Will check tommorrow.

Regards chris

Guest subaru

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply. I think its certainly aft of the Gearbox as it is happening in neutral as well as power. Seems to have increased shunt in the drive train to. A mechanic who drove the car said it is very twitchy at the rear end as well, he thought there might have been some minor problems in the suspension. Will check tommorrow.

Regards chris

Hi, Hooders

I have located the problem i think. Seems to be the uj on the prop just fore of the dif. Can this be repaired in the car or does the dif have to come out. I am quite unsure about this as i didn't build this beast.

Many thanks chris

I have a 2 b also and the prop would need to come out as there is no room to get to the uj to repair it, moving the diff would be the easist way to get the prop out of mine. depending on diff will depend on how long it will take. push in shafts are easier than lobro to remove

when you take the prop off the gearbox beware of the oil that will drain out

Guest subaru

I have a 2 b also and the prop would need to come out as there is no room to get to the uj to repair it, moving the diff would be the easist way to get the prop out of mine. depending on diff will depend on how long it will take. push in shafts are easier than lobro to remove

when you take the prop off the gearbox beware of the oil that will drain out

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I have had another look and i can get at the uj. Does this come apart with some wd40 and a hammer or am i missing something here.

cheers chris

Guest mower man

Can you acsess p/shaft to diff flange bolts? yes, undo them tap the prop flange push the prop forward i.e. toward the g/box and it should come away from the diff flange drop the rear end of the prop downwards to clear the diff and then pull the prop out of the gearbox taking note that oil will piddle out unless out of the box unless the rear is jacked up well.Repair or have the prop repaired an as Haynes say refit in the rev order remembering to top up g/box oil level .this is how it should work!!!!!!!!! HTH mower man I await numerous comments :good: 8P :yahoo: :crazy:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I have had another look and i can get at the uj. Does this come apart with some wd40 and a hammer or am i missing something here.

cheers chris

fixing a uj is one of the few things i have never atempted so cannot help you there 2b's must be different because my prop will not come out without either the floor being reshaped of diff out

Guest subaru

Can you acsess p/shaft to diff flange bolts? yes, undo them tap the prop flange push the prop forward i.e. toward the g/box and it should come away from the diff flange drop the rear end of the prop downwards to clear the diff and then pull the prop out of the gearbox taking note that oil will piddle out unless out of the box unless the rear is jacked up well.Repair or have the prop repaired an as Haynes say refit in the rev order remembering to top up g/box oil level .this is how it should work!!!!!!!!! HTH mower man I await numerous comments :good: 8P :yahoo: :crazy:

Hi Mower Man,

Thanks for the advice. Seems like its the p/shaft to diff flange bolt that has sheared. will try and get picture up to help. Any ideas how to reduce file to 500k. Thanks chris

Guest chris brown

My floor stops 3/4" from the diff flange only just enough room to undo bolts, all 2B,s are different i suppose

Yes mines the same the prop will not come past the bottom of the diff so it has to be removed to get the prop out

Once you get it out I would recomend replacing both UJ's. Also if you have broken bolts on the flange dont replace them with any old bolts but get the correct ones as they are high tensile and are tightened up very tight

Guest mower man

Thanks for the info ,IMHO if the floor is not part uf the chassis strength [these 2b things have atubular frame yes ]I would form acsess at both front and rear of the prop you will nodoubt tell me if this is not practical, awaiting replies with interest mower man :clapping: :crazy:

Guest subaru

Hi Guys,

I know i am a complete numpty but is there any way the two couplinks forming the uj can be split whilst in the car. I have taken the aft most couplink and unbolted from the dif shaft but it is still connected to the prop via the other couplink. To be honest i don't think i would know how to take a uj apart ( apart from dropping the clutch ). I have spoken to a fella and he reckons this may be off a V6 ford as the uj has little metal clips on the couplinks.

Thanks chris

Thanks for the info ,IMHO if the floor is not part uf the chassis strength [these 2b things have atubular frame yes ]I would form acsess at both front and rear of the prop you will nodoubt tell me if this is not practical, awaiting replies with interest mower man :clapping: :crazy:

Hi,

you are correct in thinking that the floor pan is not that integral to the structural strength of the 2b and i guess you could cut away the floor pan but there are a few things that cross the gap such as the handbrake/seat belt angle that would still prevent the prop coming out easily. It wouldn't be good to cut through these imho.

I have dropped the diff off twice on mine as the front flange leaks every now and then. To do this i jacked up the one side and removed the drive shaft (quite easy to do) then unbolted the diff and dropped it down and pulled out the other driveshaft. It helps ive got a pit to work in though.

You can then (as said) just pull the prop out of the gearbox and get it repaired/replaced. I think i would spend the time getting it out and inspecting it properly and possibly replacing it completely as some of the RH props used poor quality tubing which has been shown to twist itself to destruction. seriously! Have a look and see if there is a visable seam, if so consider getting it replaced as it should be seamless tubing.

hth