Fuel Gauge

Guest subaru

Guest subaru

Hi eveyone,

I have been racking my head as to the correct sender for my fuel gauge. I have a smiths telemetrix fuel gauge and a 20 litre tank. Do i need to go with a smiths item or can i get away with something else. I am not sure as to what i have just taken out of the car. The gauge used to work back wards but now is not working. The resistance readings were at best patchy so i have decided to change the sender.

Many thanks chris

Guest subaru

you've answered your own question, if you want a gauge that works, and works accurately get the correct smiths sender.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies but am afraid another question. I have the new sender which works fine with the fuel gauge. Set up a mock circuit and all seems well. The challenge is that the old sender had a breather hole and a return fuel whole in it both conected The new sender unit doesn't have any holes for breathing or for return fuel. Do i need to drill two new holes in the top of the tank, whilst i put the new sender in to the old hole? i guess i can't just block up the fuel return pipe as this would wreck the system?

Hi Chris,

without seeing what you actually have its difficult to say.

You do need a vent and this could be already be there in your filler cap.

As for fuel return if your system has return you probally need to keep it, you dont say how you take fuel from the tank if there is a separate swirl pot set up you could feed back into that rather than drill the tank.

Jez