Where Did My Vacuum Go?

baj25

Just swapped my old 1600 Pinto for a 2000 and got it running now. When checking ignition timing, the vacuum doesn’t seem to advance timing at all though. I can’t honestly say if it was before I swapped, but it certainly has done in the past. With engine running at c.800rpm, I don’t get much suck on the dizzy vacuum tube, nor on the crankcase breather, but I don’t have any apparent induction leaks- tried WD40 trick all around. Engine doesn’t pick up quite as instantly as before- similar to when the LOVE valve wasn’t working properly. The only thing I have changed is the block- all ancillaries are same (carb (DGAV), servo pipes, rocker cover cap etc). I don’t suspect dizzy, more like vacuum loss, but can’t see how I am losing it- I haven’t gone fast enough yet to tell if brake feel is any different, but think I have a bit more pedal movement than before. Tickover is sweet as a nut though! Any thoughts O oracles, Brian

Guest chris brown
Just swapped my old 1600 Pinto for a 2000 and got it running now. When checking ignition timing, the vacuum doesn’t seem to advance timing at all though. I can’t honestly say if it was before I swapped, but it certainly has done in the past. With engine running at c.800rpm, I don’t get much suck on the dizzy vacuum tube, nor on the crankcase breather, but I don’t have any apparent induction leaks- tried WD40 trick all around. Engine doesn’t pick up quite as instantly as before- similar to when the LOVE valve wasn’t working properly. The only thing I have changed is the block- all ancillaries are same (carb (DGAV), servo pipes, rocker cover cap etc). I don’t suspect dizzy, more like vacuum loss, but can’t see how I am losing it- I haven’t gone fast enough yet to tell if brake feel is any different, but think I have a bit more pedal movement than before. Tickover is sweet as a nut though! Any thoughts O oracles, Brian

Suck on the pipe to the dissy vacuum unit with the cap off you should be able to see the advance working. If you can suck air through the pipe then the vacuum unit is bu***rd if not and there is still no movement then strip the dissy as it has probably seized between the drive and the tube attached to the bob weights. Otherwise just check you have clear pipe from manifold to dissy

Ta Chris. Pipe is definitely clear. Any tips on stripping dizzy? It is the simple Bosch type from 1600 donor. The rotor arm can be moved clockwise (I think) about 10-15 degrees by hand against spring tension and returns smoothly, if that indicates anything. Brian

Guest chris brown
Ta Chris. Pipe is definitely clear. Any tips on stripping dizzy? It is the simple Bosch type from 1600 donor. The rotor arm can be moved clockwise (I think) about 10-15 degrees by hand against spring tension and returns smoothly, if that indicates anything. Brian

That sounds OK does the advance work when you suck on the pipe? Should advance and if you then stick your tongue over the end it should stay advanced until you release the vacuum.

I know old school method nowadays it is frowned upon. It's an easy way of testing so it must be bad for you. ;)

This should give you some ideas on striping.

Well, looks like vac advance on the dizzy is working- it took a fair old suck to move it, but it is definitely working. I’ll make sure that the vac pipe is not pinched anywhere, but after that I’m stumped as to why it is not working when the engine is running. The port into the carb is definitely clear. Brian