Newbie Questions On Gbs Zero

nelmo

If you can source a lot of parts yourself you will make the build much cheaper. At GBS you'll be paying a premium for the "Designed for the Zero" tag line but in many cases you'll find it needs reworking anyway. For example, I made my own doors (made is used loosely) I ordered the metal, cut the size, laid out a frame and had a fellow Rhocar member weld for me. This was then taken to some seat upholsterers who "loved a challenge" and they did the sewing. Essentially I got the materials and paid for labour, but in all £100 to do that as opposed to GBS £300+ for the doors is a significant saving. And mine are colour coordinated :)

As you said too, MX5s are everywhere. You'll find everything you'll need on ebay or various facebook buy and sell groups. As already said, see if there are any owners local who are willing to give you a trial fit, see what you're comfortable with. Theres enough skills out there that you can avoid using GBS for the majority of the parts with a little leg work yourself :)

The problem even with getting my own parts is having to refurbish them which, going by blogs, involves lots of wire brushes and painting. If I get them from Tiger, say, that will hopefully have been done. Then there's the issue of getting working parts - if there's a problem with the engine, I can go back to Tiger - not the case with an eBay purchase.

Tiger have also just emailed to say they now do a wider chassis and body and sent me a pic of their demo car - looks great!

Going to try go up there next week...

I didn't refurb any of my donor parts, most I did was paint the cam cover and that was literally a spray of primer and brushed on hammerite mix of red and yellow 8)

However with the rebuild I will be as it became apparent that my initial aim of getting it on the road as quickly as possible, whilst worked well and good fun, soon found that a lot of the car was annoying me in the fact I felt it looked tatty, but I developed a perfectionists eye once driving rather than building :) Just depends how much time and effort you want to put into things looking good which I didn't first time round...

Guest ali2992

the refurbing is part of the pleasure sometimes! nothing like soaking your brake calipers in an electrolysis solution only for it to do very little, so cursing you just get the drill/dremel out with big wire brush attachment and go to town! I'm not trying to persuade you either way, you should do what's right for you!

the refurbing is part of the pleasure sometimes! nothing like soaking your brake calipers in an electrolysis solution only for it to do very little, so cursing you just get the drill/dremel out with big wire brush attachment and go to town! I'm not trying to persuade you either way, you should do what's right for you!

Actually, I've had almost exactly that. Decided my bike brake caliper could do with a refurb (the bike had done about 60k miles at the time) so stripped it all of and spent ages with a wire brush, tooth brush and brake cleaner - nada!! After about an hour, it hardly looked any different and after putting it all back together, it didn't seem to work any better either!

Put me off, slightly :acute:

Guest striker1660

Hi Nelmo,

I have the mostly built sr2. Given that i am in bedfordhsire and your in surrey, you could come and try the sr2 for size. THE PACKAGE I have will save you money overall with a large chunk of work doen but enough to be part of the build.

will e mail you.

Definitely windscreen...I've got my motorbike for any helmet fetish.

My hope is to eventually get my wife involved and for that i definitely need a windscreen -and a heater - and aircon, a stereo, heated seats, hair tongs, back massager and various mirrors for make-up application ^_^

There may have to be some compromises....

aircon is provided as standard with any of this type of car! As is the inbuilt power shower which activates automatically when it rains, it's normally ok though as the blow drier is continually running whenever you are moving forward :)

In the summer I was driving mine in shorts and T-shirt and still getting hot, extra cooling means more noise pedal :crazy:

Heating in the winter though, I found adding doors and half hood (homemade and not exactly sealed) made a massive difference between adding more clothes and being comfortable at 7am on the cold mornings :)

Stereo....good luck hearing that if you don't have doors! I just whacked on my bluetooth headphones and played music from my phone, also means you don't have to talk to the missus ;)

Guest davidm

I liked the Avon, but felt a bit tight in it. However, I see Tiger are now developing a wide body version.

Might make all the difference!

For some reason, I felt more comfy in the Aviator, even though as far as I know, they both share the same chassis.

I managed to find a pair of the old style Recaro seats for my Zero GT. Took a lump hammer and a pound of lard to get them in, but they're soooo comfy. You sit a bit higher too (ie not with your a@@e scraping along the ground!)

I've just bought Kitcar mag and they have an article in there about Tiger cars. In it, they mention that Tiger often do 'spectacularly discounted kit deals' at shows - is this true?

Like most blokes, i have the patience of a lottery winner in a Ferrari showroom, so waiting until Stoneleigh in May to order is going to kill me. I hope to be going up norf on Thursday to see Tiger and GBS...