Fitting A Focus St170 Engine Into My 2ltr Pinto Powered Car

Guest dan

hi everybody. i currently have a 2b with a 2ltr pinto under the hood and i am contemplating putting a ford focus st170 engine in it. does anyone know if it can be done? and if so what is the best way to do this?

many thanks

dan

Guest erichetherington

As I understand it the Focus engine is a variation on the zetec, so I can't see why it shouldn't fit. Should certainly make it move :D

It can be done, its a Zetec.

Longboarder has converted a series 3 to Zetec and i belive issues will be pedal box, exhuast exiting on the other side fuel injection piping for fuel as you have low pressure carb stuff, and the mating of a rear wheel drive box to the Zetec block with flywheel and clutch issues.

There are several Hoods with Zetec engines in now. We've all found it's best to take the pinto engine out first or there is not much room under the bonnet.

Zetec to type 9 bellhousing is a straight bolt up. I couldn't get the usual 1800 zetec flywheel + 1800 mondeo zetec clutch and pressure plate + Capri release bearing QH CCT133 to take the power so ended up with 1800 zetec flywheel drilled for uprated pinto clutch and pressure plate (from retro ford) and standard sierra release bearing which works fine. The rest is just mechanics and plumbing. HP fuel piping, swirlpot and return, possible prop change, new engine mounts, new exhaust, short sump,etc.

You will need an ECU to control ignition, cam switching and fueling unless you go bike carbs or sidedraughts. I imagine you can use the full ford setup if you can make it work. I have omex ECU, bike throttlebodies and injectors which have taken an age to get sorted but now work OK. You can use any aftermarket ECU although I would advise against Webber as you can't get the software to have a fiddle with it at home. There is also of course the mega route for impoverished electroboffin masochists.

Go for it. Only change is slightly harder setting up than a standard zetec install.

Nigel

Guest AWhite

The ST170 is around 170bhp which most people get out of a zetec with throttle bodies anyway. Might be worth going the standard zetec as it will be cheaper and as longboarder says easier to set up.

Alternatively you could go for Focus RS engine which is turbo'd but produces 215bhp standard :D

Andy

My standard 2 litre zetec black top is now up to near 170bhp with throttle bodies and Emerald ECU. I don't know off hand what difference the ST170 engine has - if its induction, its probably not worth it (as you'll more than likely scrap that anyway unless you can make it work) but if its cams and head work then throttle bodies on that engine would probably unleash even more horses.

As Nigel says don't underestimate the amount of time needed to get them set up correctly, Mine is now OK ish but has had a lot of fettling and time on the rollers, and I'm still taking it to Dave Walker at Emerald soon for the ultimate mapping session. If you buy a non megasquirt ECU make sure you have somewhere that can map it properly locally - and as many of us have found, second best is often not too good.

Good luck and let us know your plans. I'm sure there will be a zetec car or two at Stoneleigh (I'm certainly planning on going one day) if you want to take a peek.

Andy

The ST170 engine has a stronger bottom end and variable inlet cam timing. This latter causes problems as most aftermarket ECU's don't have a facility to progressively switch it. Best I could have done with my ECU would have been a simple on/off at specific revs which would work OK but the revs would have to be chosen outside normal cruising range or you could get it switching full advance/full retard at 3200 which is about 70. Have to use 4000 or so as the switch point. New ECU's may address this problem.

Nigel

I believe it also has a layered metal head gasket which can take higher pressures and you can buy bolt on turbo kits from USA. which will give you an extra 95HP without any internals modifications. Although that is only what it says on the sales package and so i am sure they are suspect to reality.

Alternatively you could go for Focus RS engine which is turbo'd but produces 215bhp standard :D

Thats a detuned volvo 5 pot. Get the Volvo version from an older T5R and it will give more power as standard and can be easily chipped to 400BHP. The Ford RS version is bored out from 2.3 litres to 2.4 (or 2.5?) which Volvo also do but this results in a weaker block and a lower maximum boost.

I had one of the BTCC homilgated Volvo T5s. It was seriously fast but parts cost a fortune, also it used most of the fuel output of saudi arabia when you drove it hard. I averaged 17mpg and I was mostly doing long motorway runs!

Guest AWhite
Thats a detuned volvo 5 pot. Get the Volvo version from an older T5R and it will give more power as standard and can be easily chipped to 400BHP. The Ford RS version is bored out from 2.3 litres to 2.4 (or 2.5?) which Volvo also do but this results in a weaker block and a lower maximum boost.

I had one of the BTCC homilgated Volvo T5s. It was seriously fast but parts cost a fortune, also it used most of the fuel output of saudi arabia when you drove it hard. I averaged 17mpg and I was mostly doing long motorway runs!

Aren't you thinking of the new focus ST. I was talking about the Focus RS from 02-03 which has a 2.0l 4 cyl turbo lump.

Andy

post-511-1176466346_thumb.jpg

post-511-1176466440_thumb.jpg

Aren't you thinking of the new focus ST. I was talking about the Focus RS from 02-03 which has a 2.0l 4 cyl turbo lump.

Andy

They're a nice engine....actually a turbocharged 2.0 litre zetec black top even though its badged as a duratec......wonder if you could get the ancillaries into a Hood (he says thinking........)

Guest salty_monk

Shouldn't be harder than fitting a Cossie... the engine itself should actually be considerably shorter leaving more room at the front for intercoolers, hoses & the like...

Dan